The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fair-Haven
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all goat lovers! I just went to pick up a load of feed I ordered and my grain mill advised me that the price of grain will be going up - due to ??? But, they said to not expect to pay the same price in the coming months that I am paying now. Just thought this is worth a heads up so you can plan accordingly......I'm in Ohio, but I really don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Yup, same here. It started rising right after the election, as has the price of gasoline and other petroleum products up here. Was told both would be rising even more.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Same down here in Texas. Hen scratch is over $9 a bag and the goat pellets I feed is now $10.50 a bag. I've looked in to possibly offsetting the cost of feed by growing small plots of grain, but it still isn't economically feasible for my operation. Right now cheap hay and rye grass help me through the winter months.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hmm here in Wisconsin the feed prices have stayed the same thank goodness!! Thanks for the heads up though in case they do cahnge.

·
8,066 Posts
I buy #1000 every 10 days. Had to decide to cut the number of goats or feed a bit less and make up for it in hay. (which is getting scarce). I've already culled and sold all the fat in the herd, now I'm down to the best ones. It's not looking good for the future! (covid killed milk sales last season, so things are super tight here! agggh!).

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Everything has seemed to go up in price in prev months but i have noticed it much more since the election. It was great being able to fill the truck for $45 when it was empty. And diesel fuel... ugh we get farm diesel and that has been rising tremendously in the last months. Even groceries.. less value in the way the produce looks and lasts and size and higher prices. We have not bought meat, eggs and milk in the grocery in almost four years so i cannot say on those. But it stinks! It is scary to think what prices of things will rise to within the year.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
My dairy goat feed has gone up $2.00 in a week. Even the cheaper feed I mix with the dairy feed for the dry does I get at TSC went up almost $1.00. The same Kent dog food that has held steady at $38.90 for as long as I have fed it is now $42.00.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts