Grain Question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, Jul 15, 2009.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Hi Everybody, I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I wasn't sure. Problem is that we have always had wonderful sweet grain with 16% protein, mixed specially for us by a large local company. Last month the granery burned to the ground, so we're scrounging to find something comperable. Unfortunately, we can only find a 15% textured feed or an 18% sweet feed. What do you all suggest we do? We need to keep these girls' milk up and of course keep them healthy. Would the higher protein harm them in any way? Thanks all! Brooke

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I woudl go with the lower protein, we feed 12-13% protein and our girls milk really well on it. Its more about the carbs for making milk than it is the protein.

3. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thank you...I've always been told never to feed less than 16% so that makes me feel better. Also the 15 is quite a bit cheaper!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am sorry to hear about the place burning down. I hope no one was hurt.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry ..about the granery .... that is terrible... :hug:

I agree with the others ...go to the lower grain..... :wink:

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have always fed a 12.5 % protein grain. And my goats do great on it. I believe (and this is just my opinion) that 16 is too much. That is what is reccomended for a daily intake. Hay is included in that intake. So all in all my goats are getting 16 % protein but they get some in hay too.
    beth

7. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks everyone, I feel more comfortable going with the lower protein. No, thank God no one was hurt! If you are interested in the story, and it was a big one, you could probably Google Houghton Feed Supply in Pierrpont Manor, NY. It was quite a terrible thing but we're all praying they'll rebuild. They were/are such nice people, as well as a wonderful business. We had our own mix...they would do anything for us. I'm sure they'd appreciate the extra good wishes going their way!

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I feed a grain by Poulin called sweet goat %18. I also mix is with a dairy cow feed that is %16 to help with the cost since the cow feed is MUCH cheaper.

9. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Yes, that's the 18% grain we were also offered. I was concerned it might be too high for them, also it is very expensive.

10. high protein is necessary for developing goats. higher carbs are necessary for energy - putting on weight or maintaining body condition during lactation. If you've got does in milk, I think a lower protein/higher carb mix would be better.

11. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Yes they are all milking. Guess I'd better check the carb percentage. Is there a recommendation?

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    for growing goats, you need high protein and medium energy. so I would use the 18% protein feed there.

for lactating dairy does, you need high energy and medium protein, so I would use the 15% protein in that situation

13. :thumb: