Grain Question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by fiberchick04, Apr 20, 2010.

1. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    I was wondering if you guys can help me. We are looking for a cheaper way of buying grain and we'd like to mix our own. I was wondering what you guys get if you custom mix it:

1) What kind of goats do you have
    2)What is in your mix
    3)What are the ratios

Thanks!

2. ChrisAnthumum

ChrisAnthumum New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I would like to know what everyone uses too. I was just thinking about mixing the grain myself this morning. Thanks for asking the question Sammy!
    I have heard oats and boss to be a % in the mixes.

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I only give grain to milkers/ super skinny animals, and i use a recipe from sarah (goathappy) and its AWESOME. I give milkers a pound of grain for 3 pounds of milk, and scrawny goats( goats that i bought skinny/ animals that are gaining weight back from heavy lactations ect) get 1/4-1/2 a pound a day depending on the need/size

4. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    Do you know what is in it? Maybe I'll ask her.

Thanks!

5. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    awesome! thanks so much!

I'd love to hear what other people do too!

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Actually that is my old recipe(I've been too busy to update my website :p) my new recipe is similar, its just easier to mix and measure, using 5 gallon buckets to measure :)

6 buckets oats
    3 buckets barley(or just one 50 lb bag)
    1 bucket BOSS(black oil sunflower seeds
    1 bucket wheat bran(optional)
    1 bucket beet pulp(optional)
    4-6 cups of corn oil(optional)

7. ChrisAnthumum

ChrisAnthumum New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Michigan
  8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont have the ability to mix such large amounts of things.

I buy the Sweet Goat feed from Southern States and then I mix in BOSS thats about it.

I am thinking about mixing in alfalfa pellets on the milking stand so they dont go through it as fast

9. ChrisAnthumum

ChrisAnthumum New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Alfalfa pellets were more expensive (by 4 dollars) then the goat mix we bought.
    I thought sheesh! We'll just feed the hay and give the grain.

10. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Something to think about. If you are doing supplemental feedings and have them pasture you may be able to use a sweet cattle feed. Next time you are at the feed store ask to see the tags off the bags and then compare the protein and any other differences in the mix. One thing to remember is that if something says "goat" It i going to be more expensive then something for cattle. We use a combo of multi species sweet feed and cattle feed along with pasture and free choice minerals. I can buy a 1/2 ton super sack of feed for $110 compared to $11-15 a bag for goat feed. We run Boers so if you are doing milkers it may not work. We do use better feed for conditioning for the weathers for show the big one around here is intimadator(sp?)feed $22 a bag.

11. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Something to think about. If you are doing supplemental feedings and have them pasture you may be able to use a sweet cattle feed. Next time you are at the feed store ask to see the tags off the bags and then compare the protein and any other differences in the mix. One thing to remember is that if something says "goat" It i going to be more expensive then something for cattle. We use a combo of multi species sweet feed and cattle feed along with pasture and free choice minerals. I can buy a 1/2 ton super sack of feed for $110 compared to $11-15 a bag for goat feed. We run Boers so if you are doing milkers it may not work. We do use better feed for conditioning for the weathers for show the big one around here is intimadator(sp?)feed $22 a bag.

12. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Where do you buy suck grain in bulk? They don't sell it locally around here and if they do it is "organic" and the price is astronomical!

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We raise our oats ourselves, but thinks like barley and BOSS we buy from our feed store. They order and ship in all the things they sell since these grains are not grown around here.

14. Well, we have meat goats and this makes around 1500lbs but we have a lot of goats, LOL

Anyway, it costs 13.00 100lbs which is 6.50 a day here for feeding. That one just hit me. LOL

The feed looks like this...

500lbs Chipped corn
    350lbs Oat Pellets
    150lbs Soybean MEAL (Great for protein)
    100lbs Wet Molasses
    8lbs Salt (Double in the summer 16lbs)
    17lbs Calcium
    35lbs BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) -- Needed in ALL goat feed for selenium. You will never see Floppy kid syndrome with this in your feed.
    Other reasons Boss is good,

The BOSS is good for many things..
    1. The roughage they get off the shells
    2. The oils they get from them are good for the hair coats
    3. The proteins they get out of the entire seed/shell
    4. The Natural Selenium that they contain
    5. The added assistance of being a part of the natural worming process. (doesn't mean that they won't get worms, because they will, but research shows that they are good to help prevent worms).
    6. Added weight when weight is needed.

50lbs Soybean Hulls (Great for Fiber)
    35lbs Goat Mineral (Which has the Copper needed in Goats)
    4lbs ammonium chloride (Very Important for farms with boys, this will keep from having the stones and urinary problems that can come with any feed) If you do not use this I would recommend Fast Track. Either one will work but I would choose one of the two.
    Vitamins A,D, and E (Very Important...)

15. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Do the folks who use BOSS get it in bulk from your feed stores or do you have to order it?

I've never seen it here :(

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I buy it in 50lb bags from the feed store. Its a little pricy at $22/50lbs but its good for the goats and we are selenium defecient. When you go to the feed store just ask for Black Oil Sunflower seeds or you might find it in the bird seed section of TSC/ACE/ or other farm center. The co-op should also hae it and they may be cheaper.

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I bet you have seen it, you just don't know. They are called Black Oil Sunflower seeds. A lot of people use them for birds.

18. Tarheel Acres

Tarheel Acres New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Dumb question from a mixing newbie. How do you all mix those quantities of feed? Some sort of huge tumbler or something?

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Those big qty s are mixed at the mill. :cool: