The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on Craigslist and wanted to know what you all thought? It would be a great way to get organic grain, no molasses etc....

OOLA Distillery has literally tons of FREE grain to give away each week. It's perfect for chickens, pigs, cows, horses, goats, etc! This grain comes to us from a WA family farm. We would much rather pass it along to another local farmer than see it go to waste.

100% of the protein is intact in this beautiful, organic grain when we are finished with it at the distillery. Grains vary - corn, barley, wheat and rye.

You haul away. We are flexible on time/date of pickup, but please be able to haul 500 + lbs. at a time.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That is an excellent question! What an amazing way to get grain if you can use it.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm all in if it's good stuff. I roughly go through 100 lbs a week in the winter months... So I'm pretty excited if this pans out... I might have to add my own molasses for a little while, and wean them all off of it:)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
You're welcome! :) If those don't answer your questions, google feeding DDG to goats and you'll get a bunch more. ;)

·
1,524 Posts
Most of the distillery grains are soaking wet and fermented when you get them, at least around here. I saw a similar ad and contacted them. They have to deliver a ton or so and its wet and well fermented. You have to use it up immediately or it molds. Make sure you check it out before you feed it.

·
2,203 Posts
We use distillers grains in all of our TMR mixes for the cattle. Steers, lactating cows, heifers, and dry cows. Excellent stuff, cheap, and excellent protein content. It's sweet, they love it. And it's fermented, which aids the rumen.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The guy that contacted me stated that it is wet, and since it's cool here I'm not too worried about it spoiling. I'm only getting 200 lbs... Because I just want to try it... and I need to slowly switch instead of all at once. I also found a guy about 20 minutes from here with the same stuff:) I'm going to tread lightly as I'm not sure my clan will like wet stuff.... We shall see I pick some up Saturday:) I'll feed it to my chickens too:)

·
2,203 Posts
The guy that contacted me stated that it is wet, and since it's cool here I'm not too worried about it spoiling. I'm only getting 200 lbs... Because I just want to try it... and I need to slowly switch instead of all at once. I also found a guy about 20 minutes from here with the same stuff:) I'm going to tread lightly as I'm not sure my clan will like wet stuff.... We shall see I pick some up Saturday:) I'll feed it to my chickens too:)
Something to consider: mix it with alfalfa pellets, or beet pulp.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I will be doing that. My kids didn't like beet pulp, although I may try that again. They are already getting alfalfa pellets:)

·
2,203 Posts
Oh, I will be doing that. My kids didn't like beet pulp, although I may try that again. They are already getting alfalfa pellets:)
The pellets with soak up some of the "juice", and become sweet. They may like the pellets better than the pulp then. Good luck, let me know which yours preferred! Our girls love their beet pulp.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure, I'll let ya know at the end of next week:) I am concerned about one thing, their calcium intake. I use the manna pro minerals, do you think that will be enough? I'm also getting some kelp meal next week... I'm hoping that will be enough:)

·
2,203 Posts
Sure, I'll let ya know at the end of next week:) I am concerned about one thing, their calcium intake. I use the manna pro minerals, do you think that will be enough? I'm also getting some kelp meal next week... I'm hoping that will be enough:)
I would not be concerned of calcium intake honestly with your feeding regimen, especially with kelp meal coming. :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the grain:) Yeah, much cheaper and I'm hoping more healthy for them:) I gave them a few nibbles already, and they seem to like it... I'll go slow, but if this works I'll be cutting the grain bill in half:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I've been feeding it for a week, and well I don't think I'll be getting anymore unfortunately.. It was a good deal, but my clan I don't think likes it all that much, the chickens love it. If I can talk my neighbor into splitting it with me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts