The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do goats have to have grain? We try to do every thing natural on our farm, and a lot of their grains have animal by-products.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Depends on what you use them for. If you are milking, grain really helps with keeping their milk production up and good condition on their body. If you do a search, there are a couple of threads discussing making your own grain mixture.

·
1,524 Posts
The line of feed that I use have no animal by products in the cattle, equine or goat feeds. If you're that worried, you can always feed whole or crimped oats, barley and corn.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
As ksalvagno said, depends on what you are using them for. Pets and lawn mowers dont need any. Even high production milk goats dont need any if they are being feed dairy quality alfalfa (22%+ protein) and maintaining weight. The grain is just to keep em still while milking. A very active pack goat could really use some. The browsing they do on the trail is of tasty treats but lower protein / quality so, yep on them.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
As ksalvagno said, depends on what you are using them for. Pets and lawn mowers dont need any. Even high production milk goats dont need any if they are being feed dairy quality alfalfa (22%+ protein) and maintaining weight. The grain is just to keep em still while milking. A very active pack goat could really use some. The browsing they do on the trail is of tasty treats but lower protein / quality so, yep on them.
Hey Dave, nice to see you on here.

Here I can't get good quality alfalfa, I'm stuck with pellets so, my girls do need some grain to make up the difference.

·
4,956 Posts
Howdy Goathinker :) Pleasure to be here... I must warn you I am a forums troll so I am having a field day on posts hehe. Sorry to hear about the lower quality alfalfa in your area. Here there are some good growers but we still have our shipped in from about 400 miles away. In fact we get it shipped in from your state :) Huntington area (Idaho border area). Its just plain cheaper to pay the shipping and buy from a smaller grower then try to fight to get hay here that is export prices.
As for grain, we still give our milkers grain even though they dont often need it. They LOVE the grain and will complain all day long if they dont get their daily twice a day ration :)

On a side note, might not be a bad idea to troll craigslist and the giant nickle for growers east of you and just see what kinda prices you can find. We paid 185 per ton with 25 per ton shipping so 210 a ton for great alfalfa. Oh and 150.00 extra to have a locale squeeze operator to unload it for us :)

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
It's not really a problem of getting it. It's a problem of storing it. I'm only 15 miles off the ocean and at 85% humidity everything grows mold. Now if I was rich I could have a heat and moisture controlled storage barn but, that isn't going to happen in my lifetime.
I'm not doing badly with the pellets though. They are grown in Culver and really nice. I'm not trying to raise top ten milkers and choose for what I want. The blackberries and roses do make up for a lot. Since we clear hiking trails and swimming holes for Natural Resources here, they get a lot of good browse.
They do need the fat from the grain though, well other then Bean the air plant. The moisture sucks weight off in the winter.

·
4,956 Posts
Ah ya, that would be a tough spot to keep hay. Id really love to do pellets myself. Talk about little to no feed loss and almost no need to clean up in front of feeders. But its twice as expensive here for pellets and they dont come any higher then like 16% protein in our area.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
The ones I get are 18% and then they get weed hay as well. The Thistles and such are high protein also. Local grown rolled grains, and some calf manna. Their diet averages 16 percent I'd say. Keeps the weight on the pack boys well and is balanced CA/PH.

Those who can get away with out grain completely are lucky but, then again it is beautiful here and I get to take my boys to the beach...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts