Grain storage

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Sep 2, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Just wondering, what do you all store your grain in?

I've been trying to find a non working freezer for a while now, but no luck.

I thought about buying a trash can, and probably will, but I was considering buying those large plastic tote boxes? Think that could work? We keep the grain in the shed, so the only thing we have to keep out of it is mice.
    We've been buying it and pouring it in large buckets that we have w/lids, but we can only do 2 - 40 lb. bags at a time.
    I'm trying to get things done here and there, so we will be ready for winter.
    I like the idea of using the totes because my kids can get into them easier when they need to get the feed, and they may have trouble getting down into a trash can, especially since my youngest daughter likes to help too.

2. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I use a metal trash can as I was worried that rodents would be able to nibble through anything plastic.

I had to caulk the lid to make it water tight, but aside from that it works great!

3. blugrasnrs

blugrasnrs New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    I have 4 -50 gallon metal cans with metal lids. They were usd for the powder to make eggnog. I wish I had 4 more!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    totes work -- I use a trashcan

the worse that I have animal wise was one year squirrels ate through the trashcan grrr. But now I have roaches. Cant get away from it. But they stay out as long as the lid is on tight. I also use 5 gallon buckets

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much for the replies. Stacey - we have a lot of bugs/spiders out there in the shed, so I'm glad you mentioned the roaches, I"ll have to look for something to keep them out too!
    We use 5 gallon buckets right now, but we only have enough for almost 80 lbs. of feed. My husband puts more in the cooler LOL But he also has buckets with grass seed, and some other things, and it gets confusing knowing how much grain we have since all that stuff is kept in the same area and my husband is ALWAYS moving things around. It's the mower shed/tool shed.
    I'll see what I can find as far as totes vs. trashcan. Hopefully something will keep the grain 'safe' haha!
    I remember one of those container companies had a listing on craigslist last week for food grade buckets and those large containers with lids <50 gal I think>, and I WISH I had seen the ad soon enough, those large containers would have been perfect!

6. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We keep our extra bags in one of those rubbermaid storage units that has the top lid and doors that open on the front. It is the style that is long but low. We can fit our extra bags in there. Other than blocking a vent hole with ratcloth and duct tape it has kept the mice out.

Then we mix the feed in those large lidded metal trash cans as other have mentioned. We have one for each animal type (goat/horse/chicken/ducks).

They work great and the kids can easily open the cans to scoop what is needed during feed time.

7. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I just put the bags in a big trash can. I never empty them in because if something does chew threw I dont want it all comeing out. It holds 2-50lb bags.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I to... use the plastic garbage cans.... we have a great mouser cat... that keeps the critters under control.... so... we don't have chewing the bottom of the can issues anymore.... :thumb: