Grain

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Sep 22, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm just curious how much grain you all feed to your growing, lactating, young, pregnant animals? Do u grain once or twice a day? Do u stop graining in the summer? Hmmm, what else. . . . do u feed your animals separately, like w/ their own dish or in one big feeder? Just curious, looking around for ideas. :) Thanks!

*Oh, one more. Does anyone mix their own grain? If so, what do u use?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there were already some posts about mixing your own grain --- try a search.

I feed once or twice a day. I use a 16% sweet feed topped with BOSS and Fastrack. I give 1 -2 cups per feeding. Depends on how much they are producing and their overall condition.

I grain my junior does as well -- a handful each with BOSS and fastrack. They are growing and I cant resist their faces :oops:

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I feed my goats once a day and in separate dishes.....but for lactating does i feed twice a day...they get separated from the rest of the herd. I grain through the summer but only a maintenance ration. To my lactating moms i feed 1-2 1/2 lbs depending on their size and condition and also how many kids they are feeding.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    well my feeding system is sooo complicated its ridiculous.

i only feed once a day but theres nothing i can do to change it. so here's how i feed

boer does(3)- 3 lbs alfalfa oat pellets, 1 lb grain 1/2 lb wheat bran 3 teaspoons boss and one 2 " flake of alfalfa(9 lbs)

memphis - she gets fed seperate- she gets 1 lb pellets,teaspoon BOSS 2 lbs sheep grain, 1 lb grain mix handful wheatbran and 1/2 flake hay(3lbs)

paolo- boer wether- 3 lbs grain 1 lb pellets teaspoon BOSS handful wheatbran 1/2 flake hay(3lbs)

my preggo doe-(she's spoiled i know but this has only been the last trimester) - 1/2 lb pellets 1/2 lb grain, tablespoon of wheatbran,tablespoon calf manna, tablespoon showbloom, teaspoon of BOSS 1/2 flake hay(3 lbs)

pretty much each of my nigerians get's this until they are in milk of in the third trimester.
    ( bucks get less grain out of breeding season)

i have a 16 oz can

each doe gets 1/2 a can of grain 1/2 can of pellets, 1 teaspoon BOSS and i have 7 does so i just do 1/2 a can of wheatbran all together the does get about 12 lbs hay

each buck gets 1/3 can of grain,1/2 can of pellets, 1 teaspoon BOSS and the three and the wether get 1/3 can wheatbran

the wether gets 1/4 can grain and 1/2 can pellets

all together the three bucks and the wether get about 8 lbs hay

milking does get their usual 1/2 a can and then an additional 1/2 a can for each 2 lbs they milk and an additional teaspoon of BOSS and 1/4 can pellets

i told you i was bad

i got my feed recipie from sarah and i altered it a bit.
    instead of cotton seed hulls i used small alfalfa pellets ( 5/32")

5. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Our goats only get grain in the evening. The are nigerian dwarves and the older boys get 1 cup and the babies (6 months) each get about 3/4 of a cup. They always have hay available and pasture to munch on. I also have a mineral block.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    SDK, do you give the wheat bran dry?

My feed is really complicated too! It's crazy. I prob feed all the wrong things... but whatever lol.
    I also give everyone beet pulp in the winter.

These are the mixes I give. I don't have the amounts because everyone gets a different amount depending on their condition. All the milkers, and preggy girls get fed on the milking stand. The boys and kids get fed in a big bowl together. I feed twice a day. They also have free choice baking soda and purina goat mineral. i did give free choice kelp and I liked it, but it is too expensive.

The kids get a mix of medicated feed, boss, oats, sunshine pellets, and a little sweet feed.

Milkers: Sweet feed (Mix of caprine challenger and course 16), Dairy goat pellets, Boss, oats, sunshine pellets.

Dry does get sweet feed, oats, boss and sunshine pellets. Or just hay. It depends on how they look. If they look too fat then I just give them hay and some sunshine pellets.

Boys: Well I keep changing it. I only fed them hay through the summer, as much as they wanted. Now I have started giving them grain since they seemed a little thinner than I wanted. They get boss, sunshine pellets, oats, medicated feed.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks everyone for sharing!

I didn't see any recipes for grain - haven't been on TGS that long, so I didn't know there was any posts on that. I'll search though.

SDK: So, you feed wheat bran, as in the cereal, or is it something different??? There is a wheat bran cereal, right? ;)

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine get 18% blue seal sweet feed, 50# sack has 10# BOSS mixed into it.

Milking does get 2 cups 2x a day til I feel they slow in production enough to go to once a day.
    Dry does get 1/2 cup
    kids get 1/2 cup
    Bucks a cup each

They all get the hay rack filled at night t keep them munching throughout the following day....all have access to pasture.
    Does currently also get a 2 cup scoop of broken alfalfa cubes( til I can get the pellets)

Preggy girls stay at 1/2 cup til they are at the middle of their 4th month, then I up it to a 1/2 cup twice a day, after they deliver it is 2c 2x a day.

I do feed them separately...the boys have there own dishes but each still try to get more than their share. The does each are separate....while I milk Boots, Angel and Heidi are stalled, Bailey is out on "the main floor" and Tilly and Binky are separate in the common area...Tilly is dry and my main HOG and will keep them all from each dish unless she is separated.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    its just dry wheat bran, i'll snap a picture of it.. its like soap flakes.. but edible..

anyway pics and label info on it asap

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    put up a pic of the wheat bran.. olivia i will PM a recipie for feed.

11. CountryGalwGoats

CountryGalwGoats New Member

I feed 2 times per day. Sweet feed (14%) -- 1 to 2 cups, some whole corn, some oats, (I'm trying to perfect the amounts), grazing on my property, they are getting a lot of clearing time on my property, and hay (right now I have some alfalfa hay out for them). I also put vitamins in their water, and mix it up fresh for them every other day. I have a salt block out. I'm still perfecting all this. I did buy separate buckets this week, and we'll see how that goes. I do try to watch each one to see what they are eating.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Nice SDK! I have a ton of that to make mashes for my horses. Now I know I can give it to the goats. :)

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea they really like it! dunno why but they love it..

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks! So, do u get this wheat bran stuff at the feed store?? I'd really like to get some, but haven't found it. I'll ask next time we get feed. . . .

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea alot of feed stores carry it, especially in big horse areas. i get a 25 lb bag for 7 bucks and it last a long time

16. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    My Whales oops I mean Boers get up to about a large cottage cheese container full of Boer Goat Developer. It is 17.50% And a good hanful BOSS.
    They only get it twice a day for a couple of weeks before breeding, then start up again about two weeks before kidding & well into lactation.
    I used to go crazy tring to make sure everyone got their fare share.
    Now I just bring out 5 large rubber pans for 9 and let them fight over it.
    When milking the Nubian she gets one container of regular goatie feed on the stand twice a day. Plus a little more further into lactation.
    They pretty much get free choice alfalfa. During the summer I dont leave as much out, I make them clean it out before they get more.
    During the winter is when they need it free choice, not only cause of the cold but they are preggo.
    They also get loose minerals.