The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I wonder if cotton seed has a high pesticide level? It seems to me that many things that are not people food (and many that are too,) are really sprayed a lot.
Does anyone know for sure because it might be a good thing for me to use to stick their minerals to?

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I'll have to ask my dad on that one, he would know. I will let you know. I know that they may spray for boll weevils, but they may have that trait in the original seed planted so they might not have to spray for that anymore.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Just letting you guys know, I'm not ignoring you guys or leaving you, my internet is super slllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwww for some reason, it takes a really long time to reply to posts.

SDK, if you go to my website and click on articles I have our old recipe listed there. we have changed a few minor things like added beet pulp and corn oil to the mix but other than that its basicly the same. The cottonseed is mixed in by hand after the regular feed has been mixed, because otherwise the cottonseed does not distribute very well. We just mix it as we need it in a bucket. And in reply to your post about phytoestrogens(I have to pick and choose posts to reply to) I've never had a goat that 'grew' an extra teat. The boers of course usually have extra teats and the dairy goats, sometimes in certain lines it can pop up for no apparent reason, and you may never see it again. I had a doe, she was my first doe, she had one kid that had a third teat and all other 12 kids from her and her daughters had only two teats. Go figure. Soy shouldn't be fed to goats anyway, but it looks like you already knew that :wink: Alfalfa is ok, that is what makes milk. Just a side note, did you know that Nigerians that originated in Africa originally had four teats like the boers to feed more kids? It has been bred out here in the states though.

ETJ, I talked to my dad, he said regardless you cannot spray anything in the reproductive stage of a plant. Meaning when the cotton has the boll(soft ball thingy containing the seed) it can no longer be sprayed because it will harm it. They do make roundup ready cotton and boll resistant seeds, so spraying is definately lessened over the life of the plant.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Yep, this is fed to all the goats. My brother adds a little bit of whole corn to his mix(he has the boers) but I really don't like whole corn. Whenever we get a motor on our roller mill we are going to start cracking corn and mixing in into the feed to see how the goats react. Corn really shouldn't be fed whole, as it doesn't digest in the rumen of a goat like it does in the rumen of a cow. Sometimes it can even rot in their rumen. We are also mixing more oats in with the mix than barley, barley has gotten expensive here and we raise our own oats so we try and cut down on costs.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Thanks, Boomhauer is a really nice guy, don't let him fool you, he's a big baby :lol: He's not that tame though, he's still skittish after having him for three years. Sure wish he was registered, he throws the nicest kids :(

For mixing feed, my dad got a small grass seed mixer at an auction, I forget how much it mixes up but we mix up about 6 days worth of feed at a time. We store the feed in garbage cans, then we have the ingredients on pallets down in my dad's shop.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Oh, when my email starts working again, sometime ago I had given a smaller recipe of ours for a lady that you could mix up just a garbage can. When I find that I'll post it, or see if my mom has the recipe.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts