The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read so many different posts about goats not eating wet grass... But if they want to graze in the rain is it ok to let them? Or will it make them sick?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Mine don't like to go out in the rain and graze, but they will eat wet grass. They always look as happy and healthy as they do after eating dry grass. But, I do always leave baking soda out for them

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone!! I appreciate the feed back!
I do have free choice baking soda out. So we should be good :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I like to give my herd hay before I let them graze so they dont chow down on anything too fast :)
But they are out on grass in their paddocks and i never had any issues either. Again , have baking soda out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mine also hate the rain and choose to stay inside, but since we're in WA... they eat plenty of wet grass. But... they also have 24/7 access to said wet grass... so it's not like they run out and gorge themselves on it. They know it's always there.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Mine also hate the rain and choose to stay inside, but since we're in WA... they eat plenty of wet grass. But... they also have 24/7 access to said wet grass... so it's not like they run out and gorge themselves on it. They know it's always there.
Where in WA are you from Farmer Jen? I'm in Edgewood near Puyallup/Tacoma. Mine eat wet grass all the time, yep they hate the rain too, but they go out and forage as soon as it stops. I've never had a problem with my goats getting sick.

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
Most goats dislike being in the rain, and some people say eating grass in the rain can give them bloat. Just leave out some Sodium bicarbonate (Baking soda) just in case.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Where in WA are you from Farmer Jen? I'm in Edgewood near Puyallup/Tacoma. Mine eat wet grass all the time, yep they hate the rain too, but they go out and forage as soon as it stops. I've never had a problem with my goats getting sick.
I'm up in Skagit County - where the bridge went in the river. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't remember what wet grass looks or smells like. Sorry I can't help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts