The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, sooooo here's the deal. I have 5 goats. I feed them two cups of feed in the morning along with a change of water. I let them out for at least an hour a day to graze... Sometimes they are out to graze for longer that, but it depends on my plans and weather.... I usually let them out to graze anywhere from 5 PM and the latest they are ever put away is 9 PM. When I put them away, I feed them each 2 of food each again and change the water again. There isn't much to eat in their pen during the day... Is what I'm feeding them enough? I am getting loose minerals soon and I have a salt block which they all love! I also bring them some treats (scraps from veggies and left over bread, I also cut maple leaves and bag grass for them on occasion) during the day.... Is this enough to eat? What do you think?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yeah mine waste a lot too. They end up using whatever fell on the ground as bedding. I have been using slow feed hay nets lately (would never recommend regular hay nets). The holes are very small and it seems to help with the waste but of course doesn't eliminate it. But I do feel it is important for them to be able to "graze" throughout the day, whether it's hay or pasture, to keep that rumen healthy and running.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You can try using a hay bag. I have one that is a canvas bag with one hole and it has sort of a cross of fabric over it so that they can get their heads in it, and that haven't pooped in it yet.

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing is that it's not my money that I'll be spending. It's my parents'..... They wouldn't have goats if it weren't for me. I don't want to shove what I'm already pushing, I'll be lucky if I get hay. I'm not going to push for the alpha just yet. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
The hay bags are super cheap and literally save me tons of money. Before they were wasting about half of what I have them...now they eat the flake a give them and I have only had to replace a maybe a flake a day vs using 4 flakes a day.
Maybe that will convince them :) we went from using 2 1/2 a week to less than one haha. Bales are 6-7 dollars so we cut the hay bill in half.

·
14,802 Posts
I would definitely add hay. Avoid fescue. I don't know where you are, and what kind of hay you can get, but here bluegrass, timothy and orchard grass are popular outside of alfalfa. We picked up some really nice bluegrass/orchard grass hay last week. The young goats are picky about hay, they don't care for orchard grass, but the older ones will eat it just fine.

I'd use a hay bag.

I made some homemade hay bags out of some old feedbags I found in the shed. They are not the paper bags, don't know what they are made out of, but they were woven together with some kind of plastic-like material. Anyway, I cut and sewed holes in them, and each one holds a flake.
Used 4 of them at the kids show last night, and they worked GREAT. Only problem is we have one that likes to chew on the bags.
So I'd recommend using a good, strong material/bag if you want to make any.
We only use them during the shows.
The hay feeders in the barn are made out of pallets. Works great, they can't get their head stuck, and my husband made like a 'tray' on the bottom to catch the falling hay so there isn't as much waste.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I feed my goats a very small amount of alfalfa, enough for them to eat and just waste a little, if I feed too much they just waste it (luckily my horses don't mind some goat pee and poo and will eat a lot of the goat hay waste lol). Its really a fragile balance lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts