Great Goat Mineral Feeder Idea

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by MellonFriend, May 28, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

A while back my bucks destroyed their black two compartment mineral feeder to the point that I was zip tying the broken feeder back on the wall.:rolleyes: All the designs online I looked at seemed too big for my set up. I only like to put out as much as they will eat or it becomes mushy in my temperate rainforest climate. So I went to Lowes and found these pvc end cap thingies, made a wooden box around them and just set them in. This way I can clean them too! I have been super happy with it and it is as sturdy as heck! No more coming in the barn in the morning and seeing the broken mineral feeder on the ground.:D

I think the PVC pieces are 4in x 4in x 4in dia cap PVC fittings. $9.40 each on Lowes website.

IMG_5812.JPG IMG_5813.JPG IMG_5814.JPG IMG_5815.JPG
    Cullen loves his mins.:happygoat:
    IMG_5816.JPG

Here's what the individual piece looks like. I don't have it secured to the wood at all, but you could if you wanted to. You could also make it as large as you wanted to, to accommodate lots and lots of supplements.
    IMG_5817.JPG

2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas

3. MellonFriend

Yay, I was helpful! :clapping:

If you do end up using it I would love to see your finished product too.

4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Very nice. I like that it is heavy duty. My boys tear up alot of stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Iluvlilly! and MellonFriend like this.
  6. MellonFriend

You're welcome! I really can't imagine how they could destroy this one. I used all screws too and it's so sturdy, I could probably stand on it!

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. GoatiesRDear

GoatiesRDear Active Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Ohio
    I just used large washers and screws to attatch heavy duty, low-profile tupperware to inside their wooden hay manger. I was observant to attatch them high enough so they wouldnt deposit goat berries.. lol they are famous for that! They work great for my two nubian girls!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  9. GoatiesRDear

GoatiesRDear Active Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Ohio
    Saw this idea on Google! We tried it but it didn't work for us. Cool idea and it might work for you if you have a larger herd.

Attached Files:

10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I am crippling my mineral feeder along with duck tape lol, But looking into this one. I want to be able to remove the little pvc cups so I can dump and clean them, but want them to be secured so the goats don't spill them out.

a bolt through the top of the feeder into the bottom, then secured with a washer so I could remove it would be nice, but I know I would lose them when I was washing it. What do yall think?

11. MellonFriend

Well I will say that mine are not secured in any way. The box is just sized perfectly that the pvc cups sit in there and don't really move around. They wiggle a bit, but they can't be knocked over because they are down in the wooden box and the sides are high enough that they cant tip them over. Get it?

You could probably make the wooden sides higher than I did if you were worried about it. Like so they'd be in line with the tops of the pvc cups. I didn't only because all the scrap wood I had was too short.

I think your washer idea might work, but I agree with you. I'd totally lose the washer constantly. I also like that I can just pick it up and dump it without needing a tool or anything.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    My husband put together the PVC ones, my does broke it. :(

13. MellonFriend

You mean like the ones @GoatiesRDear showed?

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California