Great now look! (and opinions)

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by Crissa, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Look at this little guy Candace just offered me! He's absolutely GORGEOUS! And I think I'm going to go ahead and get him! (I know a little early to be getting a buck but I think I'll be offering him for stud and everything)

[​IMG]

I'm totally in love!!

2. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    He looks like (correct me if I'm wrong) he has good angulation in his legs, down hill and level, level rump, good dairy character (maybe???) and great coloration! Anything I'm missing? Or am I completely wrong?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you know I don't know much about all that "show" stuff but he sure looks REALLY nice to me!!!

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    LOL. I was so excited when Candace told me about him! I've been looking for a nice spotted nubian buckling for next year, and then one of her does just had this guy 36 hours ago and she told me about him and showed me two pics and I was SOLD.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I think he's very nice, he could use more body capacity but that comes with age of course :wink: What's his dam look like?

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
  7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    He's really pretty Crissa! Looks quite nice although it's hard to tell everything when they're that young.

8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I know but hopefully he'd stay nice. LOL I just messaged you.

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    And I just messaged you back. :)

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Crissa he is really nice tho I don't know that much. His dam is beautiful, the sire didnt show up.
    Is that you or Candace in the pic? Whover it is those goat jeans sure look familier!

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for the sir just copy and paste the whole link into the browser field and it will bring up the page - it worked that way for me

12. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i think he is very nice. it is hard to say what they will be like as the mature but to me he is off to a good start.

13. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Very handsome and very nice! Congratulations!!!

14. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    For me...it's hard to tell. He is stretching in that pic and any goat will look nice across the topline when stretching. I looked at both of his parents and both have short, steep rumps. That is where your girls are weak...you won't be improving your girls then if you get a buck with the same problems. His dam seemed a bit narrow and I didn't like the topline of either of his parents. He also seems a bit crooked in the front legs.

I am not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but I would not get him. I want you get the best buck possible to improve your does. If you want to show, my opinion is don't get him...if you don't care about showing and just want color...go for it.

Just my honest opinion. :)

15. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    He's cute. I like the spots.:)

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree with dover farms, though he is very young and could potentially improve in body capacity he is very narrow and shallow through the barrel even for a two day old kid. if you look at his rib cage he gets more shallow as you follow it back, he is deeper in his heart girth then he is in the rear part of his barrel. He should be getting deeper as you fallow his barrel back. Something about his feet and legs just doesn't look right. his front legs look like the bow out some and then come back in at the feet. he looks like he toes in pretty bad in the front.
    His parents both have steep rumps. His dam is very shallow through the barrel as well. im assuming she is a yearling in that picture. She seems really narrow and pinched looking all the way down her body.
    He does apear to have a nice set of shoulders and be very uphill. His rump looks nice now but if you look at the angle of his rear legs he looks as if he is going to be posty, bot a lot of angulation there which usually comes with a steep rump, there isnlt much length from his hips to his pins.
    The ultimate choice is up to you but if your looking to show kids out of your does i wouldn;t get him. I don;t think he is going to make the improvements you want in your herd. Though he is a pretty color and has spots spots don;t win in the show ring. I would rather havea plain looking buck that has better confirmation then a not so good buck with color.
    Like Dover said i don;t want to burst your bubble as you seem really excited about him but if your looking for show i don;t think i would get him. Do you have any pictures of his dam with an udder?
    beth

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well Heidi isn't registered and I'll probably end up keeping her unregistered. (could NOA her if I wanted but I don't think I will) And Lyric will only be registered if we can find the dams papers or maybe as just 50%. And then the registered doe I'm getting has everything he doesn't like a nice flat rump and everything so I think I might still get him. Even if only to use on the unregistered girls. We'll see. Thanks for the advice and everything! :greengrin:

18. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
  19. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I would like to know too! :D

Do you have any pics of his dam's udder? That is another thing I would look at. I've read...."Your buck's dam should be nicer than the doe your are breeding him to"...something on that line anyways. I hope whatever you decide to do...it improves your herd. :)

20. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    http://www.freewebs.com/caperingvalleyn ... eslist.htm

It's Dill's Epsilon Lyrae. Course now that I really look a little closer at her her rump's a little steeper than I originally thought. Hhmmm, I might also just kid a kid out of a breeding, I haven't really completely decided yet. :roll: