The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your great pyr bark and growl at your goats? Mine is 6 months old and lately she has really started pacing the border I the pen and barking a lot. She also barks/growls at the goats at times. Mostly when they are poking their heads out of the fence but at random times as well. She has never tried to hurt them though just slightly nudges them at times. Is this normal?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, out GP was pretty physical and obnoxious with our goats when he was a puppy. We actually took him to obidence school and offered immediate correction when he got too rough with the goats. He's 3 now and finally tolerable. ;-). They do calm down but you have to correct behavior that is too rough.

·
Registered
625 Posts
When I bring out bread for the hens the dogs and goats rush over as well and I did have to correct our 6 month old Pyr- Anatolian pup for growling and pushing away the little wether (he is alittle mentally impaired)...

He likes to lick and nibble on the goats, which I dont like and will chase them as well I am supervising him (he already went to puppy class)... and redirecting as necessary...

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Does your great pyr bark and growl at your goats? Mine is 6 months old and lately she has really started pacing the border I the pen and barking a lot. She also barks/growls at the goats at times. Mostly when they are poking their heads out of the fence but at random times as well. She has never tried to hurt them though just slightly nudges them at times. Is this normal?
It sounds like she can sense something out there that she thinks/knows is a threat?

·
Registered
516 Posts
The only time my pyr growls at my goats is when they are poking their heads into his food dish. ;) But yours may just be super protective. Sounds like he is patrolling well! Perhaps he's just a bit immature.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A control collars is a great learning tool and must be used very sparingly. I believe I have popped her twice since she has been with the goat Once when she thought it was fun to drag one of the kids around by it hind leg..............not a good idea, no teeth marks etc another was when she decided to carry of the smaller goats around. Now she only gets the beep sound stops immediately and goes of and does something else. As time goes on I have used it less and less around the goats. In the middle of the night she may hear a dog off in the distance and then goes this wild conversation and than others will join in. I beep her to let her knew enough and that will be the end of it til the next night.
She is still very immature and loves to play with sticks, toss her bones in the air and catch them as well as loves to chase the ball. As for being food aggressive, I always stay around for a few monuments after I toss her a helf a chicken at night or a slab of beef heart. The goats so to see what it is,m she used to snarl at them but not anyone. She looks at me and I smile and tell her they don't like it and it is ok and all is well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts