The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old great pyr. She lives with the goats full time now. Recently whenever they are eating their feed she nips at their legs, not biting just nips and barks at them. Is this normal? What should I do to correct this?

·
15 Posts
I am sure there are tons more experienced people to answer your question but in my case the first LGD we had we goat as a pup and without an adult to teach her we made a pen that ran parallel to the back of the goat pens that put the pup between the pasture and the goats. She was not allowed to be with the goats without us being there to correct bad behavior (just being a puppy). It was alot more work for us but she grew up to be the most wonderful LGD. She taught her daughter and now we just got another puppy but the older one has done an excellant job keeping that puppy in line. Its amazing to watch her put the pup "in time out" when he gets too playful with the goats. I have a friend who started off with a single pup and she was getting frustrated till I told her my experience and she built him a pen that surrounded her goat pens and all is well- she lets him out with them with her around and corrects the playfulness.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
That is a really good idea - thanks! I will file it away for future reference if/when I get a LGD. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a great idea. Do you think this nipping is normal playful puppy behavior or something more severe? Like I said she only does it when the goats are eating. Maybe I should seperate them during feeding time until she gets older??

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have no experience with LGD's, nor do I profess to know anything about them but I'm wondering if she isn't maybe a little jealous because their attention is on their food and not her? Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts