The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you prefer male or female great pyrs.? Do you prefer them fixed? Why? Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do you prefer male or female great pyrs.? Do you prefer them fixed? Why? Thanks for your help!!
I'm going to jump in here because nobody has answered yet, and it's about dogs. (I'm new to goats). Why do you want one? What do you intend to do with them. Working type dogs can be a handful if they don't have at least a little bit of a job or a routine.

You really didn't give enough info for a good answer. Definitely get them fixed if you don't want to breed them. Makes for lot's less problems and a healthier dog. Get them fixed if you don't want puppies AND get their shots. A litter of big dogs is a time and money consuming commitment. Believe you me, I used to have a pack of wolf hybrids and they used to get me in trouble. Calls at work from my neighbors and the authorities. ...talk about leaping a fence in a single bound! When the dog police came out, they ended up giving me a large welded kennel with a chain link top for free so I must have been doing something right.

So far as the sex of the dog, read about the breed characteristics and temperaments. Visit a breeder and check out the dogs and how they react to you. Sometimes your sex can have an effect on a dogs attitude towards you. Sometimes the previous owners sex, or attitude about a specific gender can have an effect on a dogs attitude. But, ..if you get a pup from a respected breeder, I wouldn't worry much about predisposition.

·
Registered
539 Posts
^^^ I agree. Fixed for sure. Another view-You don't want your un neutered male wondering off because your next door neighbors yorkie is in heat, and you don't want your female in heat attracting strange dogs to your livestock.

I love my spayed female, Katy Lady. She is the best dog I've ever owned. You couldn't take her from me for any monetary amount, that's how much peace of mind she gives me. Yet I've seen males be the same for my friends herds.

Good luck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I didn't give more info. The dog will be staying with my goats...the local breeder only has females left so this is why I was asking. I am not wanting puppies so I will get her fixed. Is there a difference in guarding with males vs females or are they the same if the are both fixed? Thanks!!

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,019 Posts
Someone said they have different pitched barks, and the female's is higher pitched and can be more annoying.
I don't have GPs. :p Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts