The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1.5 yr old Nigerian dwarf has had a dry cough for about a month. She hasn't had a temp and it seemed to be only when she was eating hay. I though allergies, and have been keeping an eye on her. Today, she has a green runny nose and my other doe is starting to cough. She is possibly pregnant due in a month. The other doe is due within the next two weeks. They were both recently wormed. I feel that an antibiotic is in order. What would be safe for pregnancy and what would the dosage be? I have LA200, Tylan200 and ProPenG on hand. Thanks

Temp: 101.2

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
ProPenG=Administer 1 mL IM per 100 lbs body weight once daily (dose for sheep swine horses and cattle)

Tylan200= Give cattle 1 ml per 25 lbs. IM daily. Give swine 1 ml per 50 lbs. IM twice daily.

LA200=4½ mL per 100 of body weight (dose for cattle and swine)

28-day slaughter withdrawal. 96-hour milk withdrawal

I don't know if they are safe for pregnancy, however.

·
Registered
31,456 Posts
I agree with Karen also..it not necessary to give meds..IM unless its hormones....Sub Q is just fine...
with that said...without a fever I would be hesitiant to give antibiotics...dry cough can be allergies or lung worm...what wormer did you use on her? ty a bit of benedryl first and B complex see if that dont help...keep a close eye onher temp..silent pueumonia can shoot it up quick....
how is sheother wise? eating driking pooping peeing bright eye alert??

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave Ivomec orally twice, 10 days apart. She seems fine otherwise. I'm doubting she's pregnant because I can't put any weight on her. She hasn't gone into heat since feb when she was bred

·
Registered
31,456 Posts
I would do Ivomec 3 times 10 days apart sub Q instead of orally..then once more in 30 days..
also sending them out to graze after the dew has dried will help from re investing ..

I have one doe who keeps me guessing until I see her kid on the ground lol..if she has not come back into heat..good chance she is breed..but a blood test will not only clear your doubt but give a aprox. gestation period...

·
Registered
31,456 Posts
Yes...Ivomec is safe for pregancy does : ) best wishes..let us know if anything else comes up..try a bit of benedryl for her snotty nose ;)

·
Registered
31,456 Posts
benedryl is 10 -20 cc for adults...

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went with my "mothers intuition" and have given her tylan200 for 4 days now. Almost no more cough and green snots cleared up.

I've been giving her probios daily, but her poop is still a little log like and mushy. Anything else I should give her? I gave her 4cc of B complex on day 2

·
Registered
31,456 Posts
Glad she responded to the antibiotics..some times we have to go with our gut.
loggy poop can be a few things...worm load..too much green/feed , stress..but also the fact they are close to kid...you could have a fecal done to be sure the worm load is low...mine will often have a run with ploppy poop after a rain..I dont worry unless it doesnt clear up on its own after a day or so..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts