Greetings from Bristol! (UK)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dj_johnphillips, Mar 27, 2010.

1. dj_johnphillips

dj_johnphillips New Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Hi Nice to meet you all! :)

I'm John and I'm kinda new here! At the moment I don't have goats or any where to keep them or, currently, the money to change either of those. However one day this may change! So I'm here to learn what I can and that way when I can set myself up I'll be ready! :)

My grand master plan is one day, maybe in 5 years time or so, I'll have saved enough capital to buy a smallholding. I have, over the last few years, become rather a fan of sustainable development and the like. During my research I've come across the concept of a "forest garden" and I like the idea of getting such high yielding results from, what will be, my acreage and I ask myself it it's possible to design such a system aimed, rather at human consumption, at goats (and alpacas maybe).

I will, once I have set myself up, need to make an income so I'll be trying to keep an eye on the practicalities of running a business around goats as well as the practicalities of goat management.

In the mean time I, unfortunately, won't have much experience to share although I plan to try and get involved in one of the local "city farms" to gain some practical experience. (It would be a real killer to buy a smallholding then find I don't like the business end!).

So there we are, that's what brings me here.

I suppose it also wouldn't hurt to let you know about my non-goat related aspirations and who I am!

As you can see from my user ID I am a hobbyist DJ, I've been doing it for quite a while (mainly trance) but I do it cos I love the music and don't expect to ever make a career of it.

I'm also half way through training to qualify as a management accountant (MA), I expect the business related skills I pick up as a MA to help me in my future life.

I grew up in a fairly small town in the middle of the countryside and, even though I've been away for over 15 years, I think I still conceder it home. However there are precious few jobs where one can make more than a meagre livings so until I can escape back there it's city life for me!

Cricky you still here?! Thank you so much for reading, and I look forward to meeting you in the forums.

JP

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome :wave:

Hey ask lots of questions and learn what you can. We are here to help and to lend advise :D

3. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Hi and welcome to TGS! :wave: It's great to learn all about you. Anyone who has goats, is anticipating getting goats, or even just wants to read about goats is always welcome here. :)

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :wave: WELCOME!!!

It's always a good thing to learn all you can about something before you get it...ask away, most here will gladly share their experience with goats!

5. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
  6. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Hi JP, welcome to the TGS and hello from a fellow UKer, in fact I'm in Fairford, near Cirencester so not a million miles away from you! I only have two gorgeous pet pygmies so can't give you much help or advice on your gameplan but this is the perfect place to find the answers you seek and is full of the most wonderful, welcoming people

Bonnie x