Greetings from Kent, UK - new goat owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rach, Nov 17, 2010.

1. rach

rach New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi Folks,

A couple of weeks ago I never imagined I'd be joining a goat forum - life takes you on strange journeys sometimes (but more rewarding than I ever imagined!).

Anyway - my name is Rach, I live in Kent, UK and my main sideline other than working to earn a crust to pay for it all is breeding horses. We have a small stud and it's safe to say, had no plans at all to enter goat ownership until one day we came across a lovely female at our local farm shop who was soon to be headed for the chiller :(

Well, we couldn't have that, so we arranged to buy her and did a great deal of goatie googling to learn as much as we could in the interim (!). We went to collect her last Saturday and she is The Most Darling Creature EVER. We have all fallen for her in a big way - man she's sweet. She's a Saanen x Golden Guernsey, and we've called her Angie. She's currently on her own albeit surrounded by horses, cats and dogs, but we are looking for a companion for her courtesy of a local sanctuary. This is most likely to be a castrated male, as that's what they have most of. I know it's not ideal for her to be on her own but better lonely for a bit than dead, IMO.

Our plans for her are to milk her and make some cheese, and for her to help keep the pastures clean.

Suffice it to say that we've picked up the basics about goat care and management but we have a lot to learn, and that's why I've joined this forum. Ideally we would like to pasture her and her companion with our mares or one of the stallions, and have already begun introductions. I'd love to hear from anyone who routinely pastures their goats with horses.

The vitnery is coming to see her tomorrow as her feet are rather overgrown, and we'll need some advice about worming.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine goats to be so charismatic; we have quite the fan club going for her. She's a bit lonely atm but extremely friendly and affectionate.

Anyway that's it really - I look forward to making your acquaintance and learning about these wonderful animals.

Thanks
    Rach

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Welcome to the goatspot! I live in New Mexico and have a little herd of kinder goats. You are right they are charismatic.

Jan

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome...Rach... :wave: From Northern California.... :thumb:

You have a great heart... to take in that goat.... I commend you for that.... :hug: :thumb:

Love to see pics sometime soon.... I bet all your animals are beautiful..... :love:
    If you have any questions... please feel free to ask... again Welcome..... :wink: :greengrin: :wave:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome

thats awesome that you saved her and she seems to thank you for it with her affection :)

I have seen horses and goats together and I have seen some not get a long so it will be a trial and error to see who she and her companion fit best with in your herd of horses.

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Welcome! We love pictures when you have the time. :wave:

Gina

6. rach

rach New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

Here's a pic or two - they aren't great pics as they were taken on a phone, but enough to give a general idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She had quite scabby knees as you can see but that's already clearing up and her coat is a lot softer. We'll see what the vet says tomorrow.

Thanks again!
    Rach

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your very Welcome.... :thumb:

She is beautiful ..... :love:

8. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    She's a beauty! Welcome from Washington State.... I'm new at this also, so we'll learn together! But isn't it FUN!
    Heidi

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome! Your goatie is very cute!!!

10. melb1

melb1 New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Welcome from Australia. Rach, I have learned so much from the wonderful people here - it's a great place!

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Welcome to the group! :) :wave: Your doe is very pretty and she looks so sweet. :)

12. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Welcome!
    I used to keep 2 horses with 2 of our goats. They got along without any problems. Feeding time would occasionally get interesting because the goats wanted the horses grain but they all learned eachothers ways & we used more different feed pans so they could all get some grain.

13. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Welcome!!! We are a small homestead in Southern Delaware, US.

She has wattles!!! There are a few of us that happen to love goats with wattles! ;-)

14. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Hi Rach - I am from the Midlands - but live in the states now.

Love your new girlie - I am a horse chick and got my goats to keep my boy company. :)

Once we had them we FELL IN LOVE with goats. :) They are soooooo addictive.

What kind of horses do you breed - we need pictures of them too. :)

15. rach

rach New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi again Folks :greengrin:

Weel the news is we had a visit from the local goat sanctuary and have been approved to adopt a chum (or possibly two) for our dear Angie. Yay! So we're going at the weekend to have a look.

In answer to the horse breed question, our other passion is Lusitanos. This weekend we introduced Angie to Tigre, one of our stallions, and they ended up sharing a pile of haylage. It's the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Pics here of Angie, Tigre and the new goat shelter we're building (suddenly we're all become goat-tastic)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... f3152538b9

And some pics of the boys for the horse fans:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/alb ... =721702288

Also, Angie came poo picking down the field with us on Sunday. At first she loitered by the stable, then came at a brisk waddle (she's pretty fat) when she saw we were going too far away. She and T met at liberty in the field, she butted his nose to make sure he knew his place and that was that. She came along with us very companionably - it was completely ace. She's adorable!

Take care all,
    Rach

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats great -- the shelter looks to be a nice size too :thumb:

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    very nice indeed....... :thumb: :greengrin:

18. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I just sent you a friend request on Facebook.

Gina AKA Kristinn Klug on facebook

19. rach

rach New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi guys,

Haven't been in for a while, and things have moved on a bit <cough>

We visited a goat sanctuary last weekend:

http://www.buttercups.org.uk/

We felt Angie needed some company of her own kind and went to look at the possibilities. What an incredible place! They have 120 goats and an amazing setup.

The upshot was that we came away having agreed to foster two girls, Nadja and Grace. These girls came from the Ministry of Defence where they were used in experiments in pressure chambers :( They are very docile and sweet, just what we need as first time owners, and they seem a bit sapped in their spirit, not at all the bumptious, puckish creatures that Angie is. They are quite clingy at the moment. Angie is definitely in charge.

They arrived on Wednesday in the middle of the worst snow we've had in a long long time and are all getting acquainted. I'll get some pics today to share. Suffice to say though our world has been rocked by goat doings. Instead of being followed about the place by one, I now have a posse of three. If you could just seen the four of us galloping (yes! galloping) up the yard yesterday in the snow you might hae been howling with mirth just as I was. The funniest thing I've ever seen!

But we need to draw the line now. No more goats!

Take care all,
    Rach

20. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Congrats on new girls! Poor things. It won't take them to long to figure out they are allowed to be goats again. Mine follow me all over the yard too!

Gina