The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I am a new goat owner in north jersey! after much research i bought two nigerian dwarf doelings, they were born in may of 2013, and are registered with AGS ( i plan on registering them with ADGA) I have fallen completely in love with them, they make me smile every day and i couldnt be happier with the girls i picked out! I plan on breeding at least one of them and then milker her. But i am a complete newbie so i dont know when to breed, where to find a buck, when the best time of year is, or if i will be taking on more than i can handle! I have read many books on goat care but i am still new to breeds, breeding, showing ect. So im hoping to get some more knowledge on this forum so that i dont make any mistakes! Thanks!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
Hi and welcome from NH :D :wave: was just in NJ picking up a buck this weekend hehe! Nigerians are awesome! Have a small herd of them myself :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys! J.O.Y Farm, where did you get your buck from? im not sure if im ready to breed my girls, they are only 7 months. Should i think about breeding them in the next month or so or should i wait until next fall?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm a newbie myself. But I'll try to help....You won't have to wait until next fall since they are already 7 months. Nigerians are year round breeders. So you just need to make sure they are mature enough in size. I think around a year depending on the doe. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will give you some better advice soon. Maybe you could post some photos of your girls. That may help too.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
thanks guys! J.O.Y Farm, where did you get your buck from? im not sure if im ready to breed my girls, they are only 7 months. Should i think about breeding them in the next month or so or should i wait until next fall?
I bought him from Logan at Freedom Star Farm :)

You could, or wait a few months.. Or wait till next fall.. I'm buying a bred 7month old.. This will be my first time kidding out a yearling..
How much so your girls weigh? If they are big enough I'd say go for it :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okay, i am not sure how much they weigh, this may be a silly question but how should i weigh them? One of my does was sold to be bred and the other was sold as a pet because she was kind of the runt, but she seems to have grown considerably and she is now as big as the other doe who is her half sister and about a week older. also i havent even looked into bucks yet, i may wait until spring to breed them but that would mean they are pregnant during the summer and would kid in the fall when its getting cold. would that be okay? thanks for the advice! i definitely need it lol

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
As long as you have some way to keep the kids warm when their born then a fall kidding would work.

To weight my small goats I weigh myself, then hold the goat, step on the scale, and then subtract my weight from the overall weight. I just use a normal bathroom scale doing that. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay i will do that then lol, i figured thats how you would weigh them but i thought there might be a better way. I will probably plan on breeding in the spring and in the mean time find a buck and track her heat cycles. So i want my doe to be around 40 pounds to be able to be bred? thanks again!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
As long as you have some way to keep the kids warm when their born then a fall kidding would work. To weight my small goats I weigh myself, then hold the goat, step on the scale, and then subtract my weight from the overall weight. I just use a normal bathroom scale doing that. :)
Agreed :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay :) amd how should i go about looking for a buck? I was thinking of going onto the ndga website to look for local breeders, but idk if I need a top of the line buck for my first time, especially because idk if my doe is top of the line

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
okay i will do that then lol, i figured thats how you would weigh them but i thought there might be a better way. I will probably plan on breeding in the spring and in the mean time find a buck and track her heat cycles. So i want my doe to be around 40 pounds to be able to be bred? thanks again!
Yes, I believe it's around 40.. Don't know off the top of my head.. Have never bred one that young before..

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
Okay :) amd how should i go about looking for a buck? I was thinking of going onto the ndga website to look for local breeders, but idk if I need a top of the line buck for my first time, especially because idk if my doe is top of the line
I would Google breeders in NJ. And see what you find.
I think you should always breed to the best of your advantage..
Do you have any pics of your does? You could post some pictures and there are plenty of us here that can 'judge' them and give you an idea of what to look for in a buck :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ill look to find pictures of them on my phone! the breeder that i bought them from seemed extremely knowledgeable but she was getting rid of her heard for health reasons. she had said that usually they show the kids at the county fair in august and then breed them that fall but i dont know yet if im experienced enough to go to a show, i was planning on milking and breeding more.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.