Greetings from rainy Ireland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by eamonn, Nov 5, 2010.

1. eamonn

eamonn New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Hi all, :wave:
    I hope you dont mind me joining. I'm a clueless first time goat owner so I hope you dont mind me popping in every now and then looking for advice. As I'm clueless i'll have no advice to offer in return!
    I seem to be based at least 3000miles from any of the rest of you guys but I guess my goats dont realise they're Irish eh?

I have 3 adorable boys (wethers?) as pets that I got in March. They were only between 2 and 4 weeks of age at the time so I suppose its somewhat of an achievement that they survived the first few weeks with a clueless foster mommy!
    The biggest one is a toggenburg x sannan I call the Captain. He's the boss of the 3 but strangely the easiest to manage.
    The middle one is also a toggenburg x sannan I call Eamonn. he looks completely different from the captain and gets bullied by him a small bit. He can be an escape artist and he must be getting extra food from somewhere because he's a fatso. My neighbour thinks he looks ripe for the pot!
    And last but not least is Sean, a toggenburg x anglo nubian. He is smaller than the others, and a complete escape artist. He's very demanding of attention.

They all love their cuddles and follow me when I bring my dogs for a walk around the fields. When they are unsupervised they have to stay in the only goat proof paddock I have as they have decided that my neighbours garden and vegetable patch is much more fun...

ok so first question, Will they grow any bigger? They were born early feb, beginning of march. They dont seem to hve grown for a while now so I was wondering if they're fully grown now.

2. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Hiya and welcome. :) This is great place to be for a newbie - they really really helped me when I got my girls. :)

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Hello!

This is a really helpful forum that I think you will really enjoy :)
    Goats don't actually reach their full maturity until 4 years of age according to the American Dairy Goat Association linear appraiser that visited a few months ago. It seems like my nigerian dwarf goats hit their full height around 1.5 years & get wider & fuller in body from that point.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome...Welcome..... :wave: ....so glad you are here with us...... I have a little bit of Irish in me... :wink: :thumb: ..... Love the Irish broag (sp)... hope I spelled that right? LOL :D ... I am from northern California.... If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask ...we are here for you and your goats.... :hi5: :thumbup:

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome, :wave: so so glad you have joined us, and NO we do not mind at all if you ask questions, that is what we are all here for and that is how we all learn.

Sounds like the goats have a awesome mom now. Congratulations to all of you.

OH by the way, we NEED to see some pictures of them. W e all love pictures. :stars:

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Welcome from Alabama USA. :wave:

I have a bottle brat I got earlier this year. (March I think) He's a Nubian and hasn't grown in awhile. Except to get fatter. I know my others took a long time to mature I'm just waiting on his next growth spurt. Although if he gets fatter instead of taller, he can be used as a parade float at Christmas! :laugh:

I too would love to see pictures. Are you on facebook? If so look up Kristinn Klug [email protected]
    I have pictures of some of my goats and my beloved sheep. :greengrin: I'll be back on Monday so have a great weekend.

Gina

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!! Glad to have you join us...and never be hesitant about asking questions, most of us here have likely asked the same ones :wink:

Sounds like your boys have a great mom, not sure about the standard breeds but with mini's such as Nigerian Dwarf and Pygmies they seem to have a stall in growth at around 5 months old...then it seems they take off growing like weeds at around 8-9 months. Most goats don't hit their mature size til they are at 3-4 years old and after that they will get wider...especially if they are a bit too well loved :wink:

9. melb1

melb1 New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Welcome from Melbourne, Australia. I, too, know nothing about goats and I have five pregnant ones atm. Everyone on this forum is very supportive and I am learning something new every day. Would love to see pics of your goats.

10. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    Welcome from Queensland Australia :)

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Welcome from another Aussie :D as has been said, goats tend to do the majority of their growing up till around 18 months, but then they wont properly finish off till 3 or 4 yrs. Your boys sound very loved!

12. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Welcome! from also rainy Washington State... I tried to post this last night, but my computer was giving me much frustration...Anyway, I'm a newbie and have 2 nigerian dwarf does. These people here are the BEST for helping out with all our questions!. You'll love it.
    Heidi

13. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Active Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Hiya - Welcome aboard - lol - maybe you should say cold and frosty Ireland ! Yep this is a great place for information, advice and just pure friendliness! Your wethers will get big - as big as a shetland or bigger, but not as wide. I've got wethers up in Longford - I use them for harness at shows sometimes or at parades. In saying that - they are great animals, a bit cheeky at times, but fantastic animals. its great to have someone else to help educate about them! Bridget

14. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome from Ohio USA :wave: you will find tons of useful info here and great people to help you answer many questions. :wink: Ireland eh? One place I have always wanted to go and will someday

15. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    hey,
    welcome. I'm new also but I have been a member of another goat group which has more members in your area. yahoo group G-UK. If you want I can see about your joining it... I know it's helpful to have a group which knows about the medications and laws in your locality.. that's partly why I joined here. Anyway, you are going to have a blast with your boys, I got mine coming on 4 marches ago and I love them so so much. yes they will keep growing and growing and growing.

because that is the case and it sounds like you aren't doing dairy and therefore don't have a milking stand. start getting them used to having their feet handled!!!!!!!!!! you don't not need to be wrestling w/a 200 lb animal and sharp trimmers in your hand in a few years :)
    sorry to bring that up in what should be purely a welcome post but you sound like you are in the same position I am in an I don't think you should have to make the same mistakes :)

so welcome! :stars: :cart:
    Miranda

16. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

IRELAND??? NO WAY!!!

Where in Ireland? I have some friends that live there. I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE IRISH ACCENT!!

Welcome, we are so glad to have you!

I live in northern california and raise Nigerian Dwarfs