The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three bottle babies in a pen with one of the moms and her baby.
They are all about 6 weeks at this point.

The kid in question is the actual kid to the mom that’s in the pen. I noticed a few weeks ago she’s been sneaking drinks from her mom, but not all the time. Today she didn’t want her bottle she just took a few sips, other than that she’s been acting normal. Tonight I noticed a “puddle” of poop where she had been playing. It was a very light grey color and more pasty than watery ? Could that be coccidia? Or something else ? If it is that, what do I do? Separate her? Will the other babies get sick ? How is that diagnosed ?

My only other thought is that I saw her trying to chew a rhododendron leaf when she escaped the pen the other day. I have seen poisoning from those in older goats and this seems very different.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Yes, rhododendron is poison to goats and she’s old enough to have digested some. It could be milk and the leaf.
I’d pull her to keep a close eye on her and switch her to electrolytes for 12+ hours to see what’s going on. Then slowly add in milk again
I hope she’s ok

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, rhododendron is poison to goats and she's old enough to have digested some. It could be milk and the leaf.
I'd pull her to keep a close eye on her and switch her to electrolytes for 12+ hours to see what's going on. Then slowly add in milk again
I hope she's ok
Do I give the same amount of electrolytes as I would milk ? Same schedule?

·
8,071 Posts
You might want to consider re-locating your rhodendron plant away from your goats. It can and will kill them. I have (had) some by the house my mom planted. It was hard for me to pull them as Mom passed away in 2013, but she would hate to think she was the cause of a goat poisoning. My goats got loose once- and 50 does made a beeline to the house (far from the barn) and a couple ate the rhodies- what a fight to keep them alive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts