The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was outside by my two goats and I noticed Lylah was chewing with nothing in her mouth. Her mouth wasn't closed, it was opened so I didn't think she was grinding her teeth.. I'm pretty new to goats so I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with her. Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is she eating and acting OK?

How are her stools?

Is she losing weight?

How is her gums and lower inner eyelid coloring?
Her stools are normal, her weight seems the same, and her gums and lower inner eyelid look a light pinkish color.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
How old? My kids used to scare the crap out of me by teeth grinding, but I think they were just ... I don't know quite but they all were okay. :laugh:

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Take her temp...should be between 101.5 and 103.5
here is a link with an eye chart to check for anemia...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UhAWDWSDQxc

if she lands in a 3-5 on the chart..I would have a fecal done to se if she is dealing with worms..which can cause tummy discomfort and the grinding of her teeth

Other wise If she is eating, drinking pooping berries, peeing ok..bright eye and alert...and NO fever snotty nose or runny eyes..no coughing...I would keep watch..might be she is trying to chew a cud..or had something stuck in her teeth?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How old? My kids used to scare the crap out of me by teeth grinding, but I think they were just ... I don't know quite but they all were okay. :laugh:
She's a little over a year old. She was born in July of 2012. I hope that happens for me too..!

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Hows she doing?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take her temp...should be between 101.5 and 103.5
here is a link with an eye chart to check for anemia...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UhAWDWSDQxc

if she lands in a 3-5 on the chart..I would have a fecal done to se if she is dealing with worms..which can cause tummy discomfort and the grinding of her teeth

Other wise If she is eating, drinking pooping berries, peeing ok..bright eye and alert...and NO fever snotty nose or runny eyes..no coughing...I would keep watch..might be she is trying to chew a cud..or had something stuck in her teeth?
I think she's like a 3 on the chart. I haven't taken her temperature yet because for one, I never have taken a goats temperature, and two, I don't have a thermometer for a goat. Could I just sterilize a human one and use it from there on for goats? And none of the vets around me work with goats. How would I have a fecal done? I'm sorry I'm just new to goats and I'm scared cause she's one of my only two. Sorry for all the questions. :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And incase this matters at all I just got them a new coop 2 nights ago. I don't know if this could have any effect but its a big change after being in a tiny coop to a bigger coop now. They've slept in it the past two nights and they seem to be okay with it but its still a big change.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
No problem....That is why Goat spot is so awesome..we are here to help and support : )

I use a cheap digital thermometer from walmart..any one will do..Its done rectal..you insert the tip just enough to work..use a bit of lub to help it slide easier..

Any vet can run a fecal..even a dog vet..there are also labs that you can mail to and get results but it takes longer...I would just call the nearest vet and ask and keep calling until you find one who will do it...be sure to include a cocci check

If you just can not get one done..then you can treat with Valbazen ( not for pregnant does) Valbazen or Ivomec PLUS, both are a broadbase wormer and gets many of the little buggers that are common.. A "3" on the chart is borderline..and so treatment is justified, even if you can not get a fecal done..Valbazen is 1 cc per 10# orally and Iv.Plus is 1 cc per 40# sub Q (under the skin)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem....That is why Goat spot is so awesome..we are here to help and support : )

I use a cheap digital thermometer from walmart..any one will do..Its done rectal..you insert the tip just enough to work..use a bit of lub to help it slide easier..

Any vet can run a fecal..even a dog vet..there are also labs that you can mail to and get results but it takes longer...I would just call the nearest vet and ask and keep calling until you find one who will do it...be sure to include a cocci check

If you just can not get one done..then you can treat with Valbazen ( not for pregnant does) Valbazen or Ivomec PLUS, both are a broadbase wormer and gets many of the little buggers that are common.. A "3" on the chart is borderline..and so treatment is justified, even if you can not get a fecal done..Valbazen is 1 cc per 10# orally and Iv.Plus is 1 cc per 40# sub Q (under the skin)
I will call the vet once I get home and see if they will do the goat fecals. And would Inermectin paste for horses work or no? I'll also check her temperature once I get home too. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
I have not used the horse paste...Im not sure how well it works, But only the Ivomec PLUS and Valbazen has the medication in it to get liver fluke..if you cant get a fecal you will be shooting in the dark so a wormer that kills more is a better choice..Also
red cell is a good supplement to help her rebuild her red blood cells..its in the horse supplement department.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not used the horse paste...Im not sure how well it works, But only the Ivomec PLUS and Valbazen has the medication in it to get liver fluke..if you cant get a fecal you will be shooting in the dark so a wormer that kills more is a better choice..Also
red cell is a good supplement to help her rebuild her red blood cells..its in the horse supplement department.....
I took her temp tonight. It was 102.8 so fine. While I had it out I sanitized it and took Snickers temp too. His was 103.6 when he ran off, so it didn't fully end taking his temp. So Snickers who I wasn't very worried about has a high temperature and Lylah who I was VERY worried about has a normal one! I'm going to call the vet tomorrow (it is closed now) and get a fecal done for both of them (hopefully). And hopefully I won't need Ivomec PLUS or Valbazen.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
If its warm outside the temp can run a tad high...unless he has other signs such as snotty nose, runny eyes..coughing or acting lethargic..I wouldnt worry too much ..take his again in the cool of the morning just to see how it is

1 - 14 of 14 Posts