The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are turning into a huge problem. I have tried the lavender, lemon balm, peppermint and rosemary natural solutions to no success. Cayenne pepper and garlic. No use. They are digging under my fencing and have been tunnelling under my house. My father lives next to us and they dug out a place under one of his house footers. Had to dig out and fill with concrete this week. My LGD kill the ones that enter the field but my house and garden are outside the fields. 20 squash plants and only got one single piece of squash this season. Not even one cucumber survived. So far the peppers, tomatoes, corn, okra and a few beans survived. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them? Other than caddy shack? I have begged my husband to hunt them but they seem to know when he goes out. I know people would normally eat them and I shouldn't think of it as a problem but a resource but my husband has the tick bite meat allergy so he can't eat them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
When we had problem we put bubble gum down there holes, it supposedly expands and chokes them, this helped a lot, we also set traps with crackers with peanut butter in them, I think there’s poison you can put in their holes, but if you have dogs and other animals that roam in the same area that option might not be safe. I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When we had problem we put bubble gum down there holes, it supposedly expands and chokes them, this helped a lot, we also set traps with crackers with peanut butter in them, I think there’s poison you can put in their holes, but if you have dogs and other animals that roam in the same area that option might not be safe. I hope this helps a little.
Regular gum or prechewed gum? At this point I would try anything. I try to avoid poison as I worry about the dogs getting them if they make it in the field before the poison takes them out.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,699 Posts
Regular gum or prechewed gum? At this point I would try anything. I try to avoid poison as I worry about the dogs getting them if they make it in the field before the poison takes them out.
Sorry, I just had to laugh at this. The thought of going out there, chewing some gum and then spitting it down a hole with the intent to kill groundhogs just made me laugh. 😅

I really feel you, though. We've been having a terrible time with moles in our garden. They are even in our raised beds. We have been struggling to keep our tomato plants alive with their roots disrupted and we'll be lucky if we get more than a handful of cucumbers. 😩

I hope you can find some answers that work for you... and maybe they would work on moles too.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Regular gum, still in the wrapper, they are smart enough to take the wrapper off but not smart enough not to choke on it , get bubble gum flavor not mint , we tried dubble bubble, the kind with yellow and blue wrappers just stick it in their hole about 8-10 inches and they’ll do the rest, if the don’t seem to like the bubble gum try fruity flavors , I’m not guaranteeing this will take care of all of them because some just seem too smart but I’m sure it’ll probably work with some, good luck

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I just had to laugh at this. The thought of going out there, chewing some gum and then spitting it down a hole with the intent to kill groundhogs just made me laugh. 😅

I really feel you, though. We've been having a terrible time with moles in our garden. They are even in our raised beds. We have been struggling to keep our tomato plants alive with their roots disrupted and we'll be lucky if we get more than a handful of cucumbers. 😩

I hope you can find some answers that work for you... and maybe they would work on moles too.
It's ok I laughed at myself for even asking it but didn't know. Lol they have been making me go crazy and been on the verge of going caddy shack on them. It's not alright! Lol been singing the song from caddy shack to them with changing the lyrics. It's just unreal. I keep threatening to eat them and get my veggies back one way or another. My husband can't eat them, though or they would be a weekly meal.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regular gum, still in the wrapper, they are smart enough to take the wrapper off but not smart enough not to choke on it , get bubble gum flavor not mint , we tried dubble bubble, the kind with yellow and blue wrappers just stick it in their hole about 8-10 inches and they’ll do the rest, if the don’t seem to like the bubble gum try fruity flavors , I’m not guaranteeing this will take care of all of them because some just seem too smart but I’m sure it’ll probably work with some, good luck
Ok that sounds like a game plan. My house has a crawl space instead of a basement so I don't look forward to having to drag them out after dying but they have to go!

Ps thanks!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ok that sounds like a game plan. My house has a crawl space instead of a basement so I don't look forward to having to drag them out after dying but they have to go!

Ps thanks!
No problem, I read a Article That said they don’t want to die in their hole so the usually crawl out if they feel like they’re going to die , so maybe you won’t have to crawl in and drag them out, I’m not sure if that’s 100% true but I guess you never know

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem, I read a Article That said they don’t want to die in their hole so the usually crawl out if they feel like they’re going to die , so maybe you won’t have to crawl in and drag them out, I’m not sure if that’s 100% true but I guess you never know
Well that's good to know or think so. Amazing how in the older days people kept them hunted down but now they run the neighborhood. I now live on what was once part of a big cattle field until that farm was subdivided. I am just thankful to now live next to my parents since they are much older now. Even if I have to deal with a ground hog issue .

·
8,501 Posts
Can you use a .22 rifle or even a pistol. Sit out at dusk, for a few nights, soon you are part of the
Night sky and they will not notice you getting ready to shoot them!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you use a .22 rifle or even a pistol. Sit out at dusk, for a few nights, soon you are part of the
Night sky and they will not notice you getting ready to shoot them!
They seem smart enough every time we carry the case outside you never see any. Dogs got two so far this week.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks me too! Dad is going to try some day hunting from his land aiming at mine while the hubby is at work if the rain holds off tomorrow. Already installed him but it's been getting soaked. Either they don't like moist gum or the flavor is wrong.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,103 Posts
Couple of options: (1)They can be live trapped with a Havahart racoon size trap (32x10x12). Cantaloupe pieces are irresistible, or other options like string beans, sweet corn, strawberries, ripe peaches, with a drop or two of vanilla extract added, as a bait, Wear gloves when handling the trap and placing bait so your scent won't transfer. Place the trap close to the burrows if possible. Once caught, if the trap needs to be moved to another location before release, cover it with a cloth to calm the critter and wear heavy gloves. They can bite the dickens out of you in a heartbeat. Stand behind the trap (opposite end of door opening), use the lever to open the door. Critter will come out, sometimes at a run, so have your firearm ready. Do not try to relocate them, they die a slow death being in strange surroundings.

(2)Just before nightfall, drop a gas cartridge of poison (Atlas "The giant destroyer") into the burrow, You have to be careful with these, hold your breath, use tongs to get it into the hole, have a bucket with rocks on hand to cover the hole once the cartridge is placed so the critter can't escape.

Once the groundhog(s) are eliminated, cut a piece of hardware mesh that is slightly larger than the hole, soak a rag with garlic oil or clove oil. (Groundhogs hate those 2 pungent smells) Stuff a rag into the hole, work the hardware mesh into the hole so it is blocked off from being able to get back into it. Groundhogs don't mind using an empty borrow that's been vacated by another one.

I phoned a friend, who removes nuisance animals for other people. I personally haven't tried to get rid of groundhogs. He has a darn good reputation for many types of critter elimination and is called upon often. The above suggestions were his recommendations

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let us know.
So far no luck but it's been raining every day. Saw one on the neighbors side of the fence and don't think they would mind us shooting across but wanted to ask first to be nice since they have kids. No one was outside but still I wouldn't want someone shooting onto my land without asking so I do unto others as I would want them to do unto me.

Caddy shack starting to look like an option at this point lol or a massive ground hog roast!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I made A propain gun several years ago for Columbia ground squrals. It was more fun if you set it off at night. And with a group of people. You never knew where flames would shoot out. Once unknowingly a young girl was standing in the middle of three holes. When i set it off flames spouted up two feet in the air. Out of all three holes. I will never forget the look on her face when the flashlight showed her face.her eyes were so big. And she said wow

1 - 20 of 31 Posts