Grow your own feed

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bee_pipes, Feb 12, 2008.

1. bee_pipes

bee_pipes Guest

Dec 4, 2007
    I'm kind of new here - this topic may have been addressed earlier...

I was enjoying the discussion on beet pulp, and just recently came across a discussion about comfrey on another forum. It had links to a number of articles about growing feed, these were the two more interesting ones:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/1974-05-01/Comfrey-for-the-Homestead.aspx
    http://www.countrysidemag.com/issues/87/87-3/JD_Belanger.html

Do you grow any of your own feed? It's important to us to be as self-sustaining as possible.

Regards,
    Pat

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We grow our own oats, corn and hay, which saves us a lot of money on goat food. We have about 20 acres of oats and about 40 acres of hay, and we plan on planting more next year.

3. bee_pipes

bee_pipes Guest

Dec 4, 2007
    What kind of machinery are you using?

Regards,
    Pat

4. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Feed

We planted some barley this year as a winter graze. Just sowed it here and there throughout our small acreage. The seemed to enjoy it.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    My dad is a farmer so we already have the equipment. But if you can find a nice small drill that you can hook behind a utility tractor that would work. As far as harvesting your grains, you would have to hire somebody to harvest them for you with a combine. If you want to get straw from your grains, then you'll have to find somebody who DOESN'T have a rotar combine(its escaping me what the regular combines are called)

For hay, the three things you need are a cutter, a rake and a baler. You can usually pick up nice ones at auctions if you know what to look for.

If you have the acreage, but aren't machinery saavy, you could probably hire somebody to do it for you :)