The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a wether that was born on April 9. He is half Nubian and half Kiko. I weighed him and he only weighs 30 lbs! He was bottle raised on while cows milk and has been wormed several times. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Have you had a fecal done to check for coccidia? Even if they have normal stool, they can still have coccidia.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the same problem and my Alpine kid is about the same age as yours and he is 32 lbs...skin and bone. I am going to do a fecal on him and hope for the best. He is not interested in gains and would only nibble some. In fact, he is not a big eater either. I had him for two weeks now. Just not sure what to do other than maybe getting some Calf Manna and see if he'll like that.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't had a fecal done. I will do that this week. Or can I just treat him for it? He is on noble goat and alfalfa pellets with free choice hay and browse. But he will only eat about a cup of his feed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I haven't had a fecal done. I will do that this week. Or can I just treat him for it? He is on noble goat and alfalfa pellets with free choice hay and browse. But he will only eat about a cup of his feed.
I ended up treating mine for cocci without fecal done, gave him Vit B complex, small hand full of calf manna three times a day. He is still skinny but his coat looks better. He is still playful and seems a small eater. He gets noble goat too but he just doesn't seem to eat enough.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Ok I have a wether that was born on April 9. He is half Nubian and half Kiko. I weighed him and he only weighs 30 lbs! He was bottle raised on while cows milk and has been wormed several times. What am I doing wrong?
Given his age, I'm assuming he's weaned. What was he getting in the way of feed? What is he getting now? Part of the problem is that he is a bottle baby. Bottle babies never do as well on a bottle as they will do on their mother, I don't care what you do. It is impossible to duplicate mom. I'm not trying to bust your chops or be nasty or negative in any way, but that is a fact.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
^^ I've found the best way to raise kids,(if you do pull them from the mom) is to put them on a Lambar feeder with cold milk, and float an ice pack in there. Basically unlimited food bar for them, but since it's cold they won't gorge themselves on milk. I've had them grow just as good and sometimes better on a Lambar than on the dam.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Example: On the left is one of my 8 week old bucklings that was raised on a Lambar, on the right is a full grow doe. They can grow just a good when they are pulled at birth, than a kid that is dam raised.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Maybe offer it to him several times a day, before his hay. Try some probios, and a b-complex shot. Make sure sure his water is cool and clean. When was he weaned?
Definitely try calf manna, if he will only eat a cup a day, calf manna would be the best choice.
Is he getting any loose minerals? Also, is he in with any other goats that may bully him?

If his appetite increases, try to see if you can get him built up to 2lbs of grain a day, if not more.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He was unfortunately bottle raised bec I lost his mother to bloat when he was 10 days old. I went ahead and treated him for Cocci and I swear he has gained weight already!

·
1,524 Posts
Wow, my dairy kids born in that time frame are all between 50-75 pounds.

I bet cocci. One battle with it can leave the intestines scarred so the animal cannot get the proper nutirtion form their feed.

How much milk was he getting? Mine get as much as they will drink until they are on 20 ounces 4 times a day. When they are eating grain, then its 20 ounces 3 times a day until I wean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts