The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Brett from the Oasis Farming Ltd, Mauritius. I have some 40 bucks that I bought to start up the goat raising business. These bucks were bought when they were only a couple of weeks old and they will be soon 1 year old in June 2019. However, they weigh only 20 kg to 25 kg and seem to be very small for their age.

I have repeatedly been giving them Ivomec and multivitamins plus grains and green leaves but I do not find them progressing in terms of weight. I am worried because I have invested all my savings here and I cant find myself realising my project which is goat farming.

Can anyone please advise me?

Regards,

Brett

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi… Thank you for replying to my message and I highly appreciate that you are helping me with my issue. To be honest, I am in this farming field for less than a year and I want to give it a kick since there is a high demand of goat meat in the island but there are very few people who in the goat business and the meat price has gone so high. Mauritius had an average climate of 75 fahrenheit (winter) to 90 fahrenheit (Summer)

What breed are they?

I have most of them from the Kinder goat and some are of Black Bengal breed.

For anyone who measures in lb, 20-25 kg is 44-55 lb.

The average weight for the goats is between 20 to 25 lbs, my apologies I mentioned KG instead of Lbs. So the heaviest weights 25 lbs and all will be 1 year old by the end of July.

Do they have loose minerals?

Mauritius is a very small island in the Indian ocean and we have no suppliers for minerals in Mauritius. I normally give a kind of pellet called growth plus (grain) which is available locally but I feed them with green leaves in the morning, at midday and in the afternoon. I give them plenty of water which is available to them the whole day. Here, in Mauritius, there is no suppliers of dried hay like alfalfa /lucerne.

But half of the country where I live is covered with dense forest so green leaves are available all the time.

What are their FAMACHA scores?

As I mentioned earlier, goat farming is a poor here - we seldom would the famacha tests performed. However, the last time that I had a veterinary visit, the latter told me that there is no issue of famacha.

And did you get fecal test done for cocci + worms?

Unfortunately, I have never done the fecal test or worms. But I have given them injections like ivomec and vitamins. Few weeks later, I noticed a light improvements in their weight and growth.

I know you must be thinking that I have no knowledge about goat farming and I might be kind of difficult to deal with. I would be very much appreciate any help from you. I have actually started investing on a barn which will be ready in a couple of weeks and I may get some boer does as well as I believe that the breed that I have would not be the best breed to rear for meat.

Regards,

Brett

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
you can do the FAMANCHA your self!

I dont know those breeds of goats, but I do believe Kinders are Pygmy crossed with a meat goat, so that MIGHT not be two tiny for them, again I dont know that breed

if you cant get minerals where you are, can you get at least salt?

maybe look into native island breeds on near by islands? they may do better than goats settled (born/raised for generations) on the main land

if you can post pictures of them we can better help you

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
FAMACHA is simply checking the color of inner eyelids. Quite simple. I think you can do it yourself!

You have absolutely no hay available? Are there horses in your area? Grass hay like orchard or Timothy is okay, doesn’t need to be alfalfa. Do you have any feed stores around you?

They definitely sound like they may be a bit underweight. May we see photos of their condition? It definitely helps to determine things.

I know in some areas where mineral mixes are not available, you can make your own using pat coleby’s recipe of copper sulfate, dolomite, and sulfur. If you are interested I can get the exact recipe.

Yes, salt. Salt is good. If you cannot get anything else you most definitely need some salt. Salt licks of loose salt, whatever is available.

If you have a vet, you can get fecals. This may be necessary depending on the situation. Injectable Ivomec where I live only treats lungworms. It very much depends on the worm to treat it. Each worm needs a different wormer, this is why fecals are necessary.

The weight gain you notice after vitamins may simply be because something like b complex, and other vitamins, stimulate the appetite, and they may eat more. Just a thought.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
FAMACHA is simply checking the color of inner eyelids. Quite simple. I think you can do it yourself!

You have absolutely no hay available? Are there horses in your area? Grass hay like orchard or Timothy is okay, doesn’t need to be alfalfa. Do you have any feed stores around you?

They definitely sound like they may be a bit underweight. May we see photos of their condition? It definitely helps to determine things.

I know in some areas where mineral mixes are not available, you can make your own using pat coleby’s recipe of copper sulfate, dolomite, and sulfur. If you are interested I can get the exact recipe.

Yes, salt. Salt is good. If you cannot get anything else you most definitely need some salt. Salt licks of loose salt, whatever is available.

If you have a vet, you can get fecals. This may be necessary depending on the situation. Injectable Ivomec where I live only treats lungworms. It very much depends on the worm to treat it. Each worm needs a different wormer, this is why fecals are necessary.

The weight gain you notice after vitamins may simply be because something like b complex, and other vitamins, stimulate the appetite, and they may eat more. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Hi Brett, welcome to the group. Are you sort of off the eastern shore of Africa? A few other members on here are from other regions around Africa as well. I have read how difficult some things are to obtain. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can offer some advice in a little while. Glad you joined The Goat Spot.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
If you do have Black Bengal goats that is a good thing for you. If you can buy some Boer does to breed with your Black Bengal bucks, you should be doing really well with your herd after two or three more years. Right now, you have way too many bucks, if you sell most of them, down to about 4 or 5 how many Boer does can you buy with that money?
Come up with a breeding plan to keep from breeding future kids to relatives, keep the offspring from each breeding that has the best growth potential from your island's natural forage.
From what I have read the Black Bengal is a very hardy and easy to grow goat.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
They are hardy but their adult weight is only about 40 to 55 lbs.
These goats aren't too far off on weight.
A few questions.
Do the island rodents carry tapeworm?
Is Ivomec your only wormer choice? Can you get Fenbenzadole?
Can you get sulfa drugs or tetracycline?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Since you can't get mineral mix, can you get seaweed or kelp?

Island living has a LOT of challenges, even U.S. Islands such as Hawaiian Islands, Aleutian Islands, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands. Please do not feel afraid to tell us what you can and cannot do. The more we know, the better we can help.

You are extremely welcome here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Spidy1,

Thank you for replying back to me.. I highly appreciate it. Let me tell you that I am enjoying all you support and find it so helpful. I was looking at some conversation and I said "Wow" you guys are so helpful to so many people.

Okay.. One things is that I will be getting a lot to learn from you. I have been checking with some medical hubs here in Mauritius and they will let me know about the minerals. I am expecting to get an answer from them by the end of this week and possibly, they can import some for me. However, I need to provide a description of what I actually need as mineral.

I will surely add some picture.. Should I add it under this conversation itself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello NigerianDwarfOwner707,

Thank you for the advice. That would be very helpful as well. We do have lucerne available here. Apart from this, we have hay from Sugar cane leaves. Unfortunately, we do not have Tomithy or orchards available here.

Also, if you are able to provide me with the pat coleby’s recipe, that would be so great. Thank you again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Dwarf Dad, post: If you do have Black Bengal goats that is a good thing for you. If you can buy some Boer does to breed with your Black Bengal bucks, you should be doing really well with your herd after two or three more years. Right now, you have way too many bucks, if you sell most of them, down to about 4 or 5 how many Boer does can you buy with that money?
Come up with a breeding plan to keep from breeding future kids to relatives, keep the offspring from each breeding that has the best growth potential from your island's natural forage.

Hello Dwarf Dad,

Thank you for your note. If I sell some of them, I may get 2 to 3 Boer does (Boer does are not always available here). If I provide you with my e-mail address, will it be possible for you to give me an example of breeding plan.. I just want to make sure that we are on the same page

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HI Goathhiker,

I appreciate your speedy reply.. Thank you so much for that. Yes that true, these are hardy goats and also very adaptable. But they do not reach more than 55 lbs. Here we have other tapeworms such as pana cure. For the Fenbenzadole, sulfa drugs or tetracycline I will inquire with the drug house and will let you know. Thank you again.

They are hardy but their adult weight is only about 40 to 55 lbs.
These goats aren't too far off on weight.
A few questions.
Do the island rodents carry tapeworm?
Is Ivomec your only wormer choice? Can you get Fenbenzadole?
Can you get sulfa drugs or tetracycline?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Mariarose,

I am amazed to see how you people are eager to help new comers to your group. I was surprise and so happy to see you guys helping. I have inquired about the minerals and will get back to you soon. Thank you again.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
"Dwarf Dad, post: If you do have Black Bengal goats that is a good thing for you. If you can buy some Boer does to breed with your Black Bengal bucks, you should be doing really well with your herd after two or three more years. Right now, you have way too many bucks, if you sell most of them, down to about 4 or 5 how many Boer does can you buy with that money?

Hello Dwarf Dad,

Thank you for your note. If I sell some of them, I may get 2 to 3 Boer does (Boer does are not always available here). If I provide you with my e-mail address, will it be possible for you to give me an example of breeding plan.. I just want to make sure that we are on the same page
I will have to search for one, I have only pets and do not breed our goats.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts