GRRRRRRRRRRRR - *Rant*

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Realfoodmama, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    So I've been separating my twins from their mom at night for about a week now, and things were going great. Milking was smooth in the am and she was super full and I had lots of delicious goat milk for myself and my two year old.

Until two days ago.

Then her devil spawn bucklings :devilish: decided they could no longer stand being separated from mommy until 7 am! They HAD to get to her! So two days ago, I walk down there and one is in the pen with her. No milk for me!

Then yesterday after fixing the hole in the fence so small I didn't think the CAT could get through it, I find one in the pen with her AGAIN.

Then this morning was the worst. I fixed the hole again last night, this time with reinforcements and extra hay and threats of death....

And I heard them this morning calling for her, so I checked the window and saw that they were indeed in their little pen, separated. Giddily I prepare my milking equipment thinking for sure this morning I'll get some! I put on my jacket, and pick up my pail and open the back door...

And in the ten freakin' minutes it took me to get ready one of the devil spawn has jumped the fence and is attached to mom! :GAAH:

By the time I get down there, her udder is all lopsided and I feel so badly for the little guy who didn't get over I just let him out and let him nurse on mom while she was on the stand...

I need to sell these little escape artists!

Thank you for listening :)

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    lol.

sounds like you need to put them in a pen farther away.

3. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Yeah that isn't an option :(

I have a small backyard operation and we don't actually have anymore pens...

I suppose I could make them sleep in the greenhouse with the cats...

4. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    LOL! I love how you used the word "giddily" I pictured that exactly.

5. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan

..Or you could make them sleep in the freezer with the broccoli. :shades:
    *In GodFather voice*

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    LOL...little boogers...they can be very persistant!

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What little brats.... if there is a will ...there's a way... :ROFL:

I would maybe put ...hog panels in the area they keep going through ...let them try getting through that..... :wink: :hug:

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He he.... I have a stall I put kids in....with a plywood roof to prevent jumpers, mine are nigi pygmy kids so a 3x5 x 4 stall is perfect size. Another option is to get one of those "Huge Dog Sized" travel kennels and bed them down in that. Escape proof and they can see mom but no way they can get to her.

10. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Gotta love those little Houdinis! We have one of those that we have finally confined...we'll see how long that lasts! Little buggers!

11. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    So we're trying something different tonight!

Mom is in the smaller pen, babies are in the main pen with my other goaty.

The pens are on a slope and the baby pen is the uphill one, so they had less fence to jump...now they're in the downhill pen and hopefully won't be able to figure out a way to ricochet off the barn and get over the six feet of chain link separating them from the boobie.

Of course, I'm sure I'll go down in the morning and find them both with mom.... :hair: