grumbling !

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Aug 20, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I needed to grumble... so I figured I would!!!

Today was long. Involving weighing lambs and dagging them all and picking maggots out of their hind ends and dosing them and and and.

Why is it ALWAYS raining here? And why is everywhere so mucky? And why are there SO many maggots? And yes, those are all probably rhetoric questions!!!

One of the lambs, poor thing, had maggots where I ringed his boy parts - way back in June. I thought he was all healed, but, obviously not. Probably picked about 40 fat maggots out of his gut, I'm hoping none are internal but *shrugs* I dosed him with everything I gave that ewe back a few weeks ago (who incidentally is going well except for the part of her side which she won't stop biting... and so keeps bleeding...)

And then of course Whissy's front feet just won't stop getting rotten so tomorrow yet again I need to get her up and do some more paring.

There's always one more thing to do on a farm, right?

And while I'm grumbling... the field of "hay" I shut off back in May is STILL not cut (my neighbour's supposed to be doing it) and I'm running out of grass 'cause I need that field !!! :hair:

AND to make matters worse, Badger (who is one of my favourite lil sheep and is just like 18 months old) has terrible mastitis on one side - so bad that when I was trying to milk her out (water) the end of her teat actually fell off... yep that's right. Fell off.

:cry:

Which means she'll probably be one spinned now. Unless I can fix it. Which is doubtful, but we'll see. At least it's not hard. There are abcesses but they're burst on the surface and the udder appears soft underneath and I was able to milk a lot out and use a tube etc. on her. So ...I can hope...

on the PLUS side, my brother who moved back here from Alaska in the Spring has offered to be my farm manager in my absence! He has a definite head on his shoulders, he knows how to milk, he's all clued up, he just doesnt know much about the animals as such but... if it makes sense... he has "the knack"

:clap:

(always end on a positive note eh???)

LW

PS make my lambs gain weight will you? They're stalling at 25 kg and I want them at 30 - 35 so that I can send 'em off as store lambs.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Ah gee Lesserweevil, all I can offer is that it can only get better!! Do you have any chickens that can help with those maggots?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Nancy D ....it can only get better....we are in a drought fearing "No water" Can you send some to us....
    with livestock ....alot of wet is definitely bad....I am sorry ...you are having so many problems.....I will pray.... for the sun to shine.... :sun: so you can dry out.. a bit there...... :hug: :pray:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow, so sorry that you are having such a rough go with the sheep, and Whissy too, wetness is definately not a friend of wooly and cloven hoofed animals. Hope that your brother can bring the control needed when you are away....it will get better :hug:

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I am so sorry. That must really stink! :sigh: But at least you're showing signs of better!! :wink: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :grouphug: