The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The damn dog attacked Chili, our youngest doeling. This is our 1st time with a dog attack. I did all of the suggested things, let him bleed a little & cleaned him up. Is there anything that I definitely should be doing? I don't want to not do some thing!

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I would give him a tetanus antitoxin shot...

If there are deep punctures or cuts I would begin penicillin 1 cc per 20# for five days..Sub Q be sure to pull back the plunger...see blood re adjust and try again...
Keep and eye on him for shock...make sure he is eating drinking peeing and pooping just fine...Banamine will help with any pain..or a baby aspirin if you dont have banamine..

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Call the cops to get a report. If you know whos dog it is, send them over there and call a vet to fix the kid up. Inform the owner they will be paying for the vet bill. If needed, sue.

If its your dog, shoot it. Its going to happen again. Most likely worse next time.

·
Never poke a sleeping Pom...
149 Posts
Sadly...once they injure/kill one of the other critter's on the farm, the likelihood of another with a far worse outcome is probably inevitable. One of our dogs did well with the various animals here, then killed 14 pullets and our female goose :(. We had tried to rehome her before something did happen but were not able to and despite doing everything we could by keeping her away from the others, she got in. After almost 6 years with us, we had to have her put down.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Hows Chili doing today?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was our neighbors dog. We went over there & my husband had alot of choice words for them. The same dog attacked one of our roos about 6 months ago. They gladly offered to pay any bills & for him if he happens to not make it. Today he seems to be doing ok. He's really swollen, moving around ok. It mainly got him in the face & ear area. I try not to scare him to much, he a skiddish buckling anyway. The worst part of the situation, it happen in front of my 14 y.o. daughter. She's still a little shaken up about it & now hates that dog. We've got him on a round of antibiotics & b complex, got the fly away spray to keep them off of his wounds & flush the wounds with saline. After all of that, I sure did drink me a beer.

·
558 Posts
Poor little guy! Glad he is doing okay. I sure hope your neighbors take this seriously and keep their dog on their own property!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would let them know that they are putting you guys in a hard position. Tell them the next time the dog is on your property attacking or with intent to attack that you will dispatch it. Maybe they will act more responsible.

·
4,956 Posts
Actually law gives livestock owners a very wide birth to protect their animals. Dont know if anyone there is a gun owner but by law if that dog enters your property again, you can kill it. BUT this is where the calling of the sheriffs would of come in handy as they would tell you exactly what your county laws are. On the old goat farm, we had about 6 dog attacts over the years and each time we had the sheriffs out they told us for future knowledge "unless there is damage to property or livestock dont even bother calling us. Just shoot the dog once it enters your property" There are A LOT of dogs buried on that farm.

·
2,203 Posts
Around here it is wide spread known a stray dog will get shot if found harassing, herding, or harming (three H's) anyone's pets, family, or livestock.

Keep your eye out. Likely he'll be back. Be ready with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the support & info! I talked with the neighbors again, they actually thanked us for not shooting their dog. They are good people & very diligent about fixing the holes in their fencing today. We only have electric fencing up, but that's all we need for the goats. After this I'm most certainly convinced we need field fencing up. Upon further inspection he is actually in better shape than i had origanlly suspected. Damage was done mainly to the right side of his face, with one tare to his left ear. This whole situation happened because my daughter happened to power down the fence when she was feeding them. She's done it a million times, the dog just happen to notice it I guess.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Im so sorry and I pray your doe has a full recovery :(
One thing to keep in mind. Once a dog with high prey drive attacks an animal , they WILL try it again , so be very diligent on keeping the fence live. The dog knows it got through once , it will definitely try it again as soon as the opportunity arises.
Again , Im so very sorry ! Thank GOD you were able to talk to the owners and they are actively trying to remedy the situation.
Do what you have to , to protect your livestock .

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
Sounds like field fencing would be good. Too easy to forget turning electric back on. I would have both since you know the dog will attack now.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The dog officer told me if the dog comes back to shoot it, bury it, and never say a word. Just be sure no one else is a round to tell on you. Thats my word of advice. We had a neighbor with a husky. He paid for the chickens when the dog killed them, he paid for the pet rabbits when he killed them ( broke right throuh the wire). But when he killed my nd doeling that was it. I didnt have to shoot him because when i took my dead goat to his house he shot the dog himself. However, the story didnt end there, his brother came to my house a few months later and stole a parrot that i had in her cage off my front porch. She was missing for 7 years before the cops finally found her. The neighbor knew exactly where she was the whole time and must have gotten a good laugh or thought he was getting back at me. Well antway when he broke up with his girlfriend she told the cops where this parrot was. So i got her back, but unfortunately she came back addicted to crack and died from withdrawl shortly thereafter. The whole point of this story is to shoot the dog yourself, bury it, and dont say a word, because retribution by the neighbor could be bad.

·
4,956 Posts
Most of the dogs that I ended shooting at the old farm I had no idea where they came from. But a few times I did know and either went over to tell em their dog was dead or they would show up and ask as I had gone around lots of times asking if they were missing their dog when I would shoot one. So anyone within a square mile knew exactly what would happen if their dog came onto the property. The dumbest part was 95% of the people where actually shocked and would say "Oh my dog would never do that" Dogs chase. Its what they do. Goats run away, thats what they do. Any dog is one snip away from turning fun into tragic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts