Guard donkey issues

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by MyotonicMama, Sep 30, 2020.

1. MyotonicMama

MyotonicMama Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Iowa
    Curious to hear other people’s experience with guard donkeys.

I purchased a guard donkey who was ran with goats, sheep, and dogs....I think the seller wasn’t honest though beeeeeecause this donkey is very aggressive with my goats!

So from my research I gathered...once aggressive always aggressive (to small livestock not me, very loving towards me)

So my question is...
    Has anyone experienced this and is it true...he’ll always be aggressive to them?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes he will. You will need to take him out.

CountyLineAcres and MadHouse like this.

3. MyotonicMama

MyotonicMama Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Iowa
    Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear.
    I’ve separated them but now the donkey will be lonely, right? Lol. So he’s gonna need a companion ...another donkey? Will that get ugly?

MadHouse likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

It really depends on the 2 donkeys.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Donkey do not make good guard animals. While one maybe fantastic the next will kill your goats. Even the good ones have to have time to bond with the herd. So if this Donkey was new to your herd with no safe bonding could be the reason hes mean. Also is the donkey a girl..Jack or geld? At any rate we run our donkeys in our back pasture behind the goats pen. And they keep the area safe and the goats are safe.
    Another donkey would be nice for a companion. Just avoid a Jack. Keep them about the same size. I would pen the new donkey pal up where they can meet safely. We usually are able to let the new one join the herd within a week.

CountyLineAcres and MadHouse like this.
  6. MyotonicMama

MyotonicMama Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Iowa
    That’s great advice. I literally just told my husband that maybe we should let him run the skirts next to the woods and keep the goats in the middle.
    Sucha learning process.
    Thank you!

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes..my goats are between the donkeys and our house i have seen the donkeys going after a coyote. We used to have up to 13 donkeys ( rescues) was quite a sight. I love them but wouldn't let them in wit the goats. We have 5 donkeys now that we are keeping. Wonderful animals.

MadHouse and MyotonicMama like this.
  8. We had one that came from a home where it was with goats. It did fine with mine for a year. I did have to introduce him to new goats or babies born, once I did that, he was ok with the new ones. But after a year, IDK what happened but I caught him running down my does. Twice. They were heavily pregnant too. He found another home in an amazing place because we didn't have anywhere else to put him. But I would not trust them again. A lot of people have issues.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. MyotonicMama

MyotonicMama Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Iowa
    So interesting! I mean, I guess it makes some sense. They make good guardians because they’re territorial ...not because the bond, like a livestock dog does. ‍♀️ dang. I was hoping there was hope to keep them together.

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  10. It's stinks. I wish I'd had somewhere for him to be separated as I really did like him a lot. He was a good boy otherwise. I had so wanted to keep mine together too.

MadHouse likes this.
  11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I had a donkey. It kept killing the newborn springbuck and duikers. We sent her to the farm.

MadHouse likes this.
  12. MyotonicMama

MyotonicMama Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Iowa
    Okay donkey experts...
    I would like to ask you your opinions...

So my current donkey, Banjo, is a 6yo gelded standard about 46”...

We’re going to go look at a 6 MONTH old Jenny. She’s 34” right now but should be around 40-42” (according to owner based off of parents)...

So wondering...if Banjo would be more accepting of his own kind? Or would it be dangerous to bring in such a youngster given his aggression towards the goats...

And if they eventually do hit it off, should I separate first or just throw her right in.
    The current owner said she stands her ground with his jack and the neighbors jack...

Looking for advice cause She’s adorable. IMG_1272.jpg

13. ksalvagno

She sure is cute. Most animals like their own kind but there are always exceptions.

14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Just like any animal it is never wise to just put two new faces together. If you can, keep them seperated but where they can get to know each other.

15. MyotonicMama

MyotonicMama Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Iowa
    HappyBleats...Do you have any advice? Since you e rescued so many I’m sure you’ve dealt with all kinds of donkeys...

MadHouse likes this.
  16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Awe..she is precious !! I would pen her separate for at least a week...some need longer..should be where they can fence meet and get to know each other safely. I had a young geld get loose into the pasture and the other two geld chased him silly. Its not easy calming them down and saving the little one...took my adult sons getting between them and cutting them off. So definitely let them get to know eachother. Good time for the new donkey to meet any dogs as well. We make sure all new donkeys know who belongs here. My 2 great danes and Boxer hound cross run the pasture with no worries..strange dogs not so much not that the donkeys like my dogs lol..nope but they leave them be.

17. littleheathens

littleheathens Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    south central WI
    My favorite breeder around here has several guard donkeys and they are FANTASTIC at their job. They are all jennies and they are with the ewes always. At lambing time the jennies go in the barn with the mamas and act like midwives, protecting the babies and making sure the little ones and mama stay close together during the births. (I'm not positive but I think they have jacks in with their grown rams). The jennies walk gingerly around the barn and babies like they love them. I've seen photos and videos and it is the sweeeetest thing!

They advised me to never get a male- fixed or not- and not minis because they are not protective/confident enough to guard effectively. And, yes, you also need to find an animal raised with small ruminants. They hit the jackpot; I can never seem to find a full size jenny with any experience.

18. MyotonicMama

MyotonicMama Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Iowa
    Banjo and Lilly have been doing great together so far. She stands her ground but Banjo made sure she knows who’s boss still. Grumpy old man is what I call him. But they’re doing great...away from the goats. :) they get to run the field between woods and goats which I think is perfect and less stressful on the goats!
    Thanks for all the advice!

You can see him standing guard. Such a handsome fella.

IMG_1311.jpg IMG_1312.jpg

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh he is handsome!! So glad he and Lilly are friends.

MyotonicMama and MadHouse like this.
  20. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    A quick note. If your babies can get through the wire in the donkey pasture..that can end badly. We bought no climb horse fence after a horrible death here. In all my years we never had an issue until a few seasons ago. A tiny little doe got in with the donkeys while they were eating hay. We didn't see..we heard. So not sure if the donkeys attacked her or she just got under foot. It was the saddest thing ever. She was just so tiny the goat wire did not hold her.