The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

My name is Jon and I like goats :crazy:. Lol sorry, I had to say that; it is true though. I joined this forum because I am planning on moving to Maine in 7 months and intend to start a permaculture-like homestead there. One of the things I've tried to decide upon is what animals to keep for my self-sustaining piece of land and goats seemed like excellent creatures for meat, milk, and cashmere. I haven't decided upon a breed yet and I'm a newbie when it comes to the world of livestock so I have a lot to read and a lot to learn about. I think that goats will probably be one of the first ventures I get into when I get my new homestead particularly because they are great landscapers (or so I've heard lol). So yeah, that's mainly my introduction: Name is Jon (check), likes goats (check), wants to learn more about goats for when I invest in them in the future (check).

If there's anything else you want to know about me, feel free to ask!

Thank you,
JP

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Welcome! ME is a lovely state :) I'm close by in NH :)

And any questions, just ask away :) very knowledgeable people here :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome! ME is a lovely state :) I'm close by in NH :)

And any questions, just ask away :) very knowledgeable people here :)
Thank you all for the welcomes :).

I actually was born in NH and I spent my high school days living in Nashua. My family spent many weekends on lake Winnipesaukee. My grandmother also had a house in Bath that overlooks Mount Moosilauke. In fact, I just vacationed to that house last winter. My cousin owns it now and he lets family use it. I love it up there, I could reminisce for days about NH. At first when I thought about moving back home, NH was where I was going to move. There are two main things preventing me from moving back there. (1) The land tax is like 1.4%? 1.5%? something ridiculously high like that and (2) there are a lot of people moving there from Massachusetts and they keep imposing their laws upon NH and it really bothers me. Heck, you guys were a BLUE STATE last election. I couldn't believe my eyes! The "live free or die" state has been sacrificing way too many of it's freedoms lately for security and it makes me sad. WHEN I WAS A KID (that's how I know I'm getting old lol :p), I could drive a boat without a license on the lake. Now everyone needs boating licenses. Oh well at least you can still buy alcohol late at night right? lol

I've been on a 9 year education spree down in Mississippi. I have my Masters degree in Computer science now. At the time when I was looking at colleges it seemed like a good idea to be some place warm away from the snow and away from family problems. I've been saving money so that I can move back home and in 7 months I will have enough. After it all though, I will be happy to return to New England :).

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
welcome from Central Texas :D

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Thank you all for the welcomes :). I actually was born in NH and I spent my high school days living in Nashua. My family spent many weekends on lake Winnipesaukee. My grandmother also had a house in Bath that overlooks Mount Moosilauke. In fact, I just vacationed to that house last winter. My cousin owns it now and he lets family use it. I love it up there, I could reminisce for days about NH. At first when I thought about moving back home, NH was where I was going to move. There are two main things preventing me from moving back there. (1) The land tax is like 1.4%? 1.5%? something ridiculously high like that and (2) there are a lot of people moving there from Massachusetts and they keep imposing their laws upon NH and it really bothers me. Heck, you guys were a BLUE STATE last election. I couldn't believe my eyes! The "live free or die" state has been sacrificing way too many of it's freedoms lately for security and it makes me sad. WHEN I WAS A KID (that's how I know I'm getting old lol :p), I could drive a boat without a license on the lake. Now everyone needs boating licenses. Oh well at least you can still buy alcohol late at night right? lol I've been on a 9 year education spree down in Mississippi. I have my Masters degree in Computer science now. At the time when I was looking at colleges it seemed like a good idea to be some place warm away from the snow and away from family problems. I've been saving money so that I can move back home and in 7 months I will have enough. After it all though, I will be happy to return to New England :).
That's cool :)
My grandparents have a place on Winnipesaukee... Didn't make it up there this year due the some family stuff and no one to watch the animals...
Moosilauke is really nice too! Went camping up there. Loved it :)

LOL!

Yep :) I love New England :) can't really see me living else where really :) I would just like to live a little more in the 'country' part :) lol!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep :) I love New England :) can't really see me living else where really :) I would just like to live a little more in the 'country' part :) lol!
Oh I hear you, I grew up (before high school) on a suburban-like farm in Massachusetts and the congestion of people there is disturbing. It's a lot different living in Mississippi where you can drive for an hour and see countryside everywhere without many houses. Maine still has a good bit of nice acreage for a good price, so that's another reason why I'm headed there as well :).

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Oh I hear you, I grew up (before high school) on a suburban-like farm in Massachusetts and the congestion of people there is disturbing. It's a lot different living in Mississippi where you can drive for an hour and see countryside everywhere without many houses. Maine still has a good bit of nice acreage for a good price, so that's another reason why I'm headed there as well :).
Yah I know. :p

See I would LOVE that! But.. I don't really want to leave NE lol! I will find some where that I like :) lol

·
4,499 Posts
Welcome from Washington state...the Really beautiful state!! My husband and I have retired on 13 acres and taken up growing our own meat. (So far, veges start this spring). Good luck on your endeavors!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes welcome! Freedomhunter!
newbie here too (liking goats we dived in with FIVE, and didnt join TGS til after our first two..)...
One thing that comes to mind (now that we have 4 does and put a deposit down on a buckling) is-- have you slaughtered and butchered a 4 legged animal before...?
Only asking cause meat was one thing we had in mind.... but now that the reality of having to butcher our own kids is looming, not sure we can actually do it (and we really need the meat, milking is going great, we sort of just lucked into that)....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes welcome! Freedomhunter!
newbie here too (liking goats we dived in with FIVE, and didnt join TGS til after our first two..)...
One thing that comes to mind (now that we have 4 does and put a deposit down on a buckling) is-- have you slaughtered and butchered a 4 legged animal before...?
Only asking cause meat was one thing we had in mind.... but now that the reality of having to butcher our own kids is looming, not sure we can actually do it (and we really need the meat, milking is going great, we sort of just lucked into that)....
Again, thank you all for the welcomes! Yall are quite a friendly bunch :).

I just started my hunting endeavors last year and since then I have butchered a squirrel. I was going to eat it, but my knife was not fit for the job and I got hair all over the meat that I couldn't seem to get off, so I just ended up keeping the hide. I've been squirrel hunting for the past two weekends and I'm hoping that I can get another one and focus more on not getting the meat contaminated during butchering, instead of focusing on preserving the hide. I haven't had much luck on deer yet, but I'm very literate on how to butcher. I am also registered on trapping forums and intend to get into that as a hobby too. I worked at hospital in high school were I observed plenty of things that would make many people nauseated so I've built up quite a tolerance to gore. I lucked out on that. I can see where many people wouldn't have the stomach for preparing their own animal though. For me, I just had to rationalize it as death is part of life and death gives birth to new life. I have always felt a little nervousness and guilty after taking the life of a few critters like mice or squirrels, but after the first one you get used to it.

On a side note, I have 5 snakes and I feed them mice and rats that are frozen in my freezer and warmed in water to thaw them out for consumption once a week, so that's another thing that is "grose" that I'm used to dealing with. So really I'm confident in my ability to slaughter/butcher :), but I never take a life for granted. And I also try to follow the motto that I've learned from the people of Louisiana down here of "living off the land" and making sure "nothing goes to waste". I actually am excited about it because of this one guy on Vimeo called "The Meatsmith" (http://vimeo.com/32367993) who has made several videos and he butchers his own pigs. Some of the dishes he makes with pork you will never find in any store or restaurant and they look absolutely delicious. I'm hoping there will be some good recipes for goat too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts