The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Friesian. Mom is fps b book 2(sire was not approved), sire is kfps i believe. so not sure if i can register foal. i know there are alot of other registries but i like to stay in the "real" ones.

yes that is the reason for udder development other then clover. She still has the edema from the bugs though. guess shes not going to visit the stud this year :)

filly was up and moving around when i found her in the morning. I thought she has eaten. so i messed with her a bit then went to the feed store for some hay(wasnt raining finally).

came back messed with her some more and realized she hasnt wanted to nurse since i was there. soo.... my friend and i spent a lot of time trying to get the little lady to figure out nursing.... by then mom was spraying milk and trying to tell her to drink.... we eventually got a bottle and filled it up by putting it under the teat and also milked 4 cups out so mare wasnt so full.. filly drank a few ounces from the bottle and then we moved the bottle next to moms teats.... finally she figured out her tongue and drank!... the rest of the day was spent teaching the filly how to get in position to nurse and to not fall over when her head was down low. finally by 6pm she nursed all by herself!

filly is already alot bigger! and finding her legs.... bucking... running... I have to update myself on caring for a foal and not a kid...haha... so exciting though...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
anyone want to give me ideas on feed?
before foaling she was given vit/mineral supplement, amino acid powder(mainly lysine), a dash of diamond yeast and kelp. and two-three flakes of orchard mix hay in a slow feeder. with good weight.
after foaling i am giving her above plus triple crown senior and rice bran. I also bought some beet pulp for fiber and alfafa cubes(they were still out of pellets) plus two more flakes. hay is hard to come by right now. hoping hay wont be up to $30 a bale but the way fuel is $5 for regular i wont be surprised.
I am thinking i may look for the growth as it has more calories?. im slowly increasing the senior since she hasnt been on "grain" for awhile.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ahhh thank you! isabelle the mare is the greatest. how many mares would let you milk them, play with baby and not care.... I still put a halter on her when someone is there but she is doing very well. I hope her daughter wont be a spazz... i like the mellow ones these days....
still no name, yet will depend on where she can be registered I think...

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Be sure to follow up with having an IgG ran on the foal to be sure she got mommas antibodies. Since she may not of nursed colostrum early enough it would be more cost efficient to run the test and if needed then give plasma to ensure a healthy foal.

Beautiful baby!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts