Guess who came to visit today?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by zoomom, Mar 19, 2010.

1. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Someone from NYS Ag and Markets. Apparently when i had my blood testing done at Cornell, it alerted the powers that be that i had goats. :GAAH:

She was very nice. At first i thought it was about that national animal id thing. (which i thought had gotten kicked to the curb) Instead, it was just noting how many animals i had, and i have to either tag or tattoo them for scrapies.

I said it was odd, it wasn't mentioned on the goat board (that i saw anyway) and she said it was new - within the past month - that they are tracking people down just in case of a disease outbreak. I also mentioned (snidely) that i'm sure NYS is making money off the tagging, and she said no, it is a free service. (although when NY had ANYTHING for free is beyond my recollection)

So, has anyone else experienced this?

Since i don't want to tag them, i guess i will have to get the tattoo set sooner than planned. (like after the babies were born) Any thoughts on the best (and still affordable) set? I have a 3 letter prefix from the NDGA - do i need to register my farm name and tattoo prefix thru any other groups? I thought the tattoo set came with 5 spaces, so does that mean i only have 2 for individual numbers?

She also noted that i had chickens, so if there is outbreak of avian influenza, i will be getting a visit then too, and my flock would be quarantined and tested. I practice strict biosecurity with the chickens anyway. No one who has birds enters my barn. They can stand outside the fence and look at them. For that matter, I don't let too many people in my barn anyway.

As a side question, is there stuff that can be transmitted from sheep to goats? My daughter has a new friend with a flock of sheep, and if she is going there and then coming back here, i will sanitize her shoes.

Gosh i HATE this. I would rather fly under the radar. It's not like i'm out there selling stuff to the vast public, (well, eggs, i hope i don't need a permit for that now too - if that is the case, i will get rid of most of them and keep a few for friend/family use) She didn't say anything, and my egg sign was out by the road, so maybe that is ok.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wow thats crazy -- I would have told her to leave. She didnt have a warent to be on your land and you didnt ask her to come.

I have never heard of such a thing that people are comign around checking out hobby farmers and if they do it never is good news.

Now scrapies tagging and such has been around for a while thats nothing new. But I wont get involved, it infringes on my privacy.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry you live in NY! I wouldn't have let the lady anywhere on my property without a warrant.

Some things you need to do depending on your town and what state you live. When i had my goats in boxford they had a "barn inspector" come around and keep track of how many animals you had and tax you depending on it.

Testing through vets is something I wont do unless I have to anymore. The new thing is to have vets report your animals to the government. So I don't let my vet know how many animals I actually have. lol

You are probably going to have to tattoo. I would see if you can get the same tattoo number from the AGS and ADGA as well.

Scrapies can be transmitted from sheep to goats and vice versa.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    There is a HUGE study going on at WSU right now about Scrapie in goats and why some goats are contracting it and why some are not. It is going to take a couple years probably to know the answer - but they are working on that and hopefully a vaccine.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thye can get CL and Johnes from Sheep

6. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    As far as denying them access, it is really hard to do that w/o coming across as a jerk, and i hesitate to piss off state reps b/c it could backfire if they wanted to hassle me. I was a little antagonistic about it, asking about the national registry thing and making it clear i knew it hadn't passed, and wanting to know just what i had to do (like if it required additional testing)

If it is just tattooing them i was going to do it anyway (eventually) but i just hate the way they try to meddle in everything. And the fact that they are using Cornell to 'tattle' makes me even more annoyed.

I wouldn't have even had the testing but a couple breeders said i had to if i wanted to use their bucks (and then i ended up using someone else's). The does had tested negative in the past and their herd was closed, so i didn't expect them to come up positive. The breeders did not mention the thing about alerting the state - maybe they didn't know about it either.

I'm sorry i live in NY sometimes too. I love the weather, i love the people (well upstate NY anyway) and practically my entire family lives here. I never thought i'd move, but i think eventually they are going to regulate and tax people to death and we'll all leave.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know how state reps...can be.... :roll: it is better as you said.. to go along with it... than fight it.... as you are right ...they can stir the pot for you later.... I say.. it isn't right of them.....to just come in on you like that....and ...I see your logical way of thinking.... :hug:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Here is CO, the only ones that can be tattooed are the ones that are registered. If they do not have registration papers that follow them then they have to have the tags.

I personally do not understand the whole fight wit it myself. I do it and I will still do it. That way if someone sells a goat and it has scrapies, they can track where it came from and it will prevent all the goats in that county from being euthanize.

If I sell a goat that has it to someone, then they will come back to my herd and euthanize my herd but not everyone around me that has goats.

I keep very good record who I sell my goats to and everything. I do know of a lady that bought 4 of my goats last year. I now have the owners names that she just sold them all to.

Yes the tags are a pain in the you know what. I have them fall out a lot. I have never ever had one tear the ear. I did just remove one from a doe that the hole got really big and caused a nasty infection. I just pulled the tag out, and I will re-tag her with it later.

All the shows that we take out goats to you have to have scrapie tags IN THE EARS. (Girls in the right, boys in the left). It use to be that if they were a wether they did not have to have a tag, becasue they could not reproduce, but beings ours are not eaten, they could still come down with it even if they are not breeding.

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    also parasites ... internal and external. orf. there are heaps of diseases transmissible between goats and sheep

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I guess NYS addopted NAIS on their own. The reasons she gave are the same reasons NAIS gave.

11. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Can I say close the gate or install one. Your property if the gate is closed they can not enter without a warrant. Also remeber these census takers are also looking for the same stuff. Left the gate open the other night so the wife wouldnt have to get out to open it on her way in strange truck made its way down part of the driveway, it was the census guy dropping off ? my form he was looking around a bit till he looked at my waist band and decided it was time to go.
    I would call you county ext office and see what need to be done request it on paper.

12. Jekka_Lynn

Jekka_Lynn Member

Mar 19, 2010
    What does a scrappies tag look like...what is scrappies?

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'm surprised alot of you guys would shoot them for being on your property! LOL

Maybe I'm just weird, but I would want to know everything they knew about the program etc. unless they were snooping around, then I'd have a problem, we dont get many unknown vistiors though, scary pyrenees!! LOL

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i dont see the issue... If its not something they're charging you for and she wasn't rude ( other than coming unannounced) she really didn't do much.. And i agree with sweetgoats. I do not tag, but i tattoo everything that leaves my herd, its important and being able to track something down fast keeps outbreaks smaller and shorter. wouldn't you be upset if they decided to euthanize all your goats, because they had found an unmarked goat that had the disease in your area? i sure would be

15. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Well i wasn't advocating shooting anyone who comes on my property. I invite people onto my property with my 'fresh eggs for sale' sign. At least to my front door. And i was polite to her and talked to her for a long time. I asked about the NAIS b/c i knew it hadn't passed, but people had been talking on one of the poultry boards about reps going around trying to get people to sign up and implying that it was mandatory.

What i object to is NYS meddling further in my life. I pay my taxes. ALOT OF THEM. I want to be left alone, and it is my business if i have a few goats for pets/milk for my family. I don't have anything i'd need a permit for (i thought anyway - nothing exotic) They aren't going to be sold for meat. And it is continuing progression. First it is just a list of who has what. Then it is something else, and something else, and before you know it every single animal has a rif tag, and they are doing impromptu barn inspections. No thanks. Or if there is an outbreak of avian influenza, my birds can be quarantined/put down depending on how militant they want to be. I don't let people with birds wander around my birds to avoid the spread of disease. I have some fairly expensive birds (for me anyway). They are never outside to come in contact with wild birds or other people, just my layer flock goes in and out. I would be extremely upset if they all had to be put down b/c someone else was careless with their flock. I would not be able to replace them easily either.

Wish i had done what my neighbor (the cop) did. He has a really long driveway and his house is behind mine. He has 3 large german shepherds roaming his property with invisible fence. People sometimes drive up his driveway, see the dogs, and leave. :)

16. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    I also believe in my privacy and rights to do what I want on my land. I checked the zoning and covenants on my property before we bought it. The part about what was in my waistband is common for me and the wife.