Guilt trip

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dvfreelancer, Dec 8, 2009.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Down the road is a fella with three Kikos and they live in terrible conditions. A really shabby little hutch made out of pallet lumber with big gaps, fenced into the same little area. I drive by and see those poor things out nibbling at the same small plot of eaten down grass in the rain.

Mine have a nice little barn (no door), straw floor, a rack full of hay, plus they get ground corn and sweet feed under a shelter in the morning. They're hooked up.

So what do they do? Stand out in the rain and graze like a bunch of orphans. The neighbors drive by and look at me like, "Why don't you get those poor things a barn!" They have a barn, I want to yell after them. You can't see it from the road but they know where it is when it's cold outside.

I don't want to put a gate on the barn but it makes me feel guilty to see them out there grazing in the rain. They have options, it's not like they don't have a choice.

They're doing this on purpose, aren't they? This is their way of lobbying for better forage. Find us some vegetable trimmings or we're going to stand out here in the rain. :doh:

2. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Its a conspiricy - for sure.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wow mine HATE the rain -- to funny. Maybe make a sign that says "I have a barn, I just choose not to use it" LOL

4. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Even as I type this, it's thunder and lightning, raining pigs and chickens. And still there are a couple standing in the rain outside the shelter. One hunched up under the overhang, the other standing under a tree.

Did I mention they have more than one rain shelter? So it's not that one is too crowded for all of them. They all can fit in the big one, plus there is another one right next to it and the hay shelter has a roof. So if they were getting butted or picked on, they could wander over to the other one.

It's really strange. The only time they're all in the shelter together is when they're really cold.

Or maybe some of mine are short bus material. We do live out in the country.

5. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Mine prefer to stand out in the rain, knee deep in grass, and peer longingly towards the chicken feed. LOL They have plenty of shelter and plenty of groceries. They also have very thick coats and full bellies so I'm not going to fret over them.

6. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I keep telling myself, they're livestock, they live outdoors, they know where the barn is. Their bellies are full, the hay racks are full, if they're not smart enough to get in out of the rain that's not my problem.

7. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Wow. Mine melt if they get there little hoofs wet. They where snorting at the snow the other night trying to make it go away.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :ROFL: I know what you mean!

My goats arent afraid of 3-4 feet of snow- they trudge through it to get to the boys, and I'y cve seen two of the pregnant does playing in it! buttin' and gruntin' as hard as they can being pregnant

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Odd! My goats hate rain and prefere not even to get their feet wet.
    beth

10. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Haha that's so funny! My girls are the opposite. Their stall has no door. They have not made a single hoof print in the snow - they've stayed in their stall alone for the last 48 hours! The snow comes up to their necks :) When the ground was vet a couple weeks back, they'd walk extremely carefully along the dry dirt to avoid the puddles like "ew, ew, ew" hehehe

My buck totally makes me feel guilty though. He has a huge dogloo for shelter (on of the one's for 120+ lb dogs). He stands with his head poked out crying and crying like "why mom, why!?" then he comes out in the snow and just gives me the most pitiful whine! I just stand there like...I know! I swear I'll build your buck house as soon as the snow melts!

11. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Mine were out in the overflow from the pond, eating grass and weeds. The water there is about 4-6 inches deep. Gonna start calling them "Swamp Goats"! LOL

12. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    too too funny! I have five ND goats- three stand out side in rain, snow, wind, you name it, two only stay in the nice dry house! They also have an alternate shelter (just in case my Clementine is in one of her nasty moods and refuses to let others in) but do they use it NOOOO! I often feel bad and try to coax them in with treats ect... but they go right back out! :wink:

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Mine hate the rain. If there is a puddle they will jump over it. If the puddle happens to be around the water buckets due to me dumping them our for fresh, they will sit and stare at it as if it is toxic acid. They refuse to step in the mud to get to the water. I actually had to put out a few stepping stones just to make it easy for them to keep their footsies dry. (Tell me I'm not well trained)

I feed them in the barn wether it's raining or not. But you can bet they are happy to be fed in there when its raining.

Don't feel bad that a few goats are standing in the rain. They may actually like it. I have sheep that stand in the rain. It must feel like a cleansing shower to them.