The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
iv been thinking about using a hackamore on my mare Ellie. we ride western walk-trot
any opinions on hacks vs. bits?
any tips or tricks?
favorite types of hackamores?
Try to find one that has a nice nose band. The hackamore that we have came with a rawhide nose band and then we took it to the Amish and they put a thick rounded leather nose band on it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
There are different types of hackamores, I prefer bosels, just a hard rawhide nose band, not the mechanical kind that pinch the nose. Bosels fit low on the nose and work naturally to keep the head lowered, I never did like my horses head to be in my face, they are great for training and really work good to minimize head tossing.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are different types of hackamores, I prefer bosels, just a hard rawhide nose band, not the mechanical kind that pinch the nose. Bosels fit low on the nose and work naturally to keep the head lowered, I never did like my horses head to be in my face, they are great for training and really work good to minimize head tossing.
thank you. that was actually extremely helpful.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I always used heavy cotton rope as reins tied to the bottom, start just like a bit plow reining and laying the opposite rein against the neck, they get the idea and you are not hurting their mouth. I think they are wonderful

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I prefer hackamores to bit bridles. But if I have a hackamore horse, I prefer to train them to neck rein.
I like rawhide hackamores, leather ones, doesn't really matter to me. I do like bosels as well.
Thick cotton reins is what I think goes best with hackamores.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts