hacking and drooling? - possibly vomiting!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dragonfly farms, Aug 10, 2010.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I guess that is the best way to describe it. Gallahad started two nights ago. I fed him his grain, alone in his stall and while i was putting up hay i heard him gurgling and coughing. So i opened the door to find a yucky drooly mess over his feed. I pulled him out of his stall and massaged his throat, encouraging him to cough up whatever her could. I figured he just ate to fast (he is a GOOD eater). Same thing happened last night, but with grass. Again I encouraged him to cough and massaged his throat. He was burping and farting and pooping so I dont think he is bloated. I did not feel any hard lumps in his throat when I was running my hands around his neck. He is fat, like I said he is a good eater!

After his episode with the grass, i sat with him for awhile until the commotion stopped and gave him some probios. I put him up in his stall without dinner so he did not choke again.

Any ideas? Im stumped!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: hacking and drooling?

he could have something stuck in his throat maybe thats causing everything else to get a little stuck going down? seems odd though for it to be lasting over a day. Hmm

does he have to fight for his food usually?

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

My sheep Moose does the same thing from time to time. He eats to fast. He knows someone else may come and help him clean his bucket. Vet said I could put large smooth rocks in to make him slow down and stand watch so no one helps themselves to his. (make sure rocks are large enough he can't put them in his mouth) Silly creatures. :laugh:

Gina

4. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC

I am leaning more towards something stuck or partially blocking his throat. All of my boys are stalled up alone and eat in their stalls. When they are out eating grass they are free roaming the property in the evening. He browses on hay all day, and does not seem stressed or nervous about the other boys around him then.

I dont know, I hope it is better tonight!

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I hope he's better soon, that sounds scary! With my 3 boys, Hank is the meekest one, he'll allow the other 2 to chase him away from the hay racks and just stand and watch them eat. With grain, I've been making it wet to slow them down a little and I hand feed Hank his share as he will grab mouthfuls and run to avoid the others...I've been putting myself between him and them at feeding time to avoid him choking. Sounds like your boy choked a bit and has something stuck, if he's no better I would explore his mouth and see if maybe he has a bad tooth thats preventing him from chewing, could be that his mouth is too full and chewing hurts so he drools :?

6. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Re: hacking and drooling? - thinking vomiting

I sat with him this evening. He came out and ate some grass and about 5 minutes later the grass came back up. I think he is vomiting. Dont know why, dont know what from, dont know what to do!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Goats don't vomit unless there is something toxic in their gut...I'm thinking that you saw a wad of chewed grass that he didn't/couldn't swallow, the fact that he's eating is a good sign but I do think that you will need to explore his mouth, or have a vet out to see him.

8. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I had some activated charcoal so i gave him some, figured it couldnt hurt. When the grass came back up, it was a green gooey liquid. I have had my fingers in his mouth as well as up and down his throat and have not felt anything. I can hopefully get the hubby to assist with holding him so I can look in his mouth.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you do think that he's eaten something he shouldn't have, follow him up with a dose of Milk of Magnesia, 15cc per 50#, it will help to evacuate the toxins that have been bound by the AC

I'm moving this to Special Care, I hope that someone else has more input for you.

10. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Thanks for the move! I never know where to put stuff!

I did not have any MOM. I will get some this am and get it to him. I figured I had the charcoal and should not wait any longer just in case. Gave him some baking soda this morning. He looked more like himself this morning. He is fat so when he gets swollen its hard to tell, but seeing him this morning and seeing him last night, he was definitely swollen last night! I watched him poo twice this morning, all seemed normal. He then either had some hiccups or tiny dry heaves, not really sure which one. Then he went on to play with his buddy donnie a little bit. They were butting over something! I think he is feeling better, still not sure what the deal it. I am going to get the MOM and give it to him. Hubby will also give him some more probios this afternoon.

Thanks for the help so far :eek:)