Hacking?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by magilacudy, Mar 26, 2010.

1. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
    Heard Cindy (pygmy) sounding like she was coughing up a hairball. Whats up with that?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could have gotten her cud stuck in the wrong pipe ?

3. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
    I guess lol, never heard that one before. I ran to the pen thinking she was gonna choke, she just stopped and looked at me :S I usually dont hang out in the barn as much as I have been. Should build myself a bunk bed ;)

4. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I had the same thing happen the other night. I was feeding them flakes of alfalfa cubes, and all of a sudden the buck started hacking - and then he just stopped and started chewing his cud. A few minutes later one of the girls did the same thing. I decided maybe the cubes were the culprit, b/c they were kind of dry. I haven't seen them do it again though.

5. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Okay, i take it back. I heard the boy do it again today. Very briefly. I did feed the alfalfa pellets last night, but i soaked them first. They get timothy hay free choice and some grain also. (yeah, i know boys shouldn't get grain, but when i lock him out, he tries to knock down the door) It was easier just to let him have a little while the girls are eating theirs. They don't get much anyway.

Regarding the cough, I don't know if i should worry or not. I am just borrowing him for a couple months, so i am being ultra-careful with him. I feel just like when i am babysitting my nieces or nephews - i was more relaxed with my own kids, and with kids that aren't mine i am constantly watching to make sure they don't get into trouble.