The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get home from work when its usually dark, so i feed with a head lamp.

well, dee my butt of a goat hits everyone around her when she sees the hay, while standing on a pallet. the black yearling doe jumped off the pallet while getting butted by dee(where i put some of the hay) and somehow managed to get her front leg stuck in the small opening between the boards while still moving forward, then flipped over on her back, screaming... i was of course on the other side of the fence and freaking out. so i managed to hold her from falling all the way to the ground(the pallet table is a foot or so off the ground) so she wouldnt break her leg and then somehow managed to flip her back over onto the pallet and somehow manage to unhook her foot while still on the other side of the fence. omg it was so scary. she was so good after she felt me trying to help her she was even licking my hand(i bet it hurt). im so glad i have nigerians as i dont think i could of helped if she was bigger. the pallet gaps are very small but obviously the way she slipped while being hit and leaping got her pastern stuck. i never want that to happen again!
at least i guess i was there. i am so sore today though with lots of bruises and a bum knee, but black doe is walking just fine and for once i am glad i had field fencing as no climb i would of had to run around to the gate and she would of broke her pastern for sure.
so no matter what i have to get a hay feeder built before winter so less arguing during feeding.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i get home from work when its usually dark, so i feed with a head lamp.

well, dee my butt of a goat hits everyone around her when she sees the hay, while standing on a pallet. the black yearling doe jumped off the pallet while getting butted by dee(where i put some of the hay) and somehow managed to get her front leg stuck in the small opening between the boards while still moving forward, then flipped over on her back, screaming... i was of course on the other side of the fence and freaking out. so i managed to hold her from falling all the way to the ground(the pallet table is a foot or so off the ground) so she wouldnt break her leg and then somehow managed to flip her back over onto the pallet and somehow manage to unhook her foot while still on the other side of the fence. omg it was so scary. she was so good after she felt me trying to help her she was even licking my hand(i bet it hurt). im so glad i have nigerians as i dont think i could of helped if she was bigger. the pallet gaps are very small but obviously the way she slipped while being hit and leaping got her pastern stuck. i never want that to happen again!
at least i guess i was there. i am so sore today though with lots of bruises and a bum knee, but black doe is walking just fine and for once i am glad i had field fencing as no climb i would of had to run around to the gate and she would of broke her pastern for sure.
so no matter what i have to get a hay feeder built before winter so less arguing during feeding.
Glad to hear all is well. How many do you feed? We had the same problem , then I started using dairy crates secured to the fence to hold their hay. Keeps the hay off the ground. Around here they are easy to come by, and hold up really well in all seasons.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
12 does in the pen. Plan to make a double side feeder, but figuring out a lid is why it’s slow going. They are going thru a who’s dominate since it seems to be changing so extra grumpy does

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i cant feed off the fence, its really old field fencing and i dont want it to break it :) i did try plastic containers for the kids on the outside of the fence with a bunngie since its new fence and worked well until my dog decided the bins were chew toys and shredded them..

·
Registered
335 Posts
i cant feed off the fence, its really old field fencing and i dont want it to break it :) i did try plastic containers for the kids on the outside of the fence with a bunngie since its new fence and worked well until my dog decided the bins were chew toys and shredded them..
Well once our fence began to stop water I figured it was solid lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts