The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the course of a whole week my buck was acting funny. I had him turned out in my moms pasture to breed 3 does. While he was there he contracted sore mouth. No big deal until i noticed he wouldnt eat. Still i thought his mouth just hurt. This was a tuesday. Thursday i decided to bring him home to breed two other does. I thought it was funny he had little to no interest in them. Still noticed he wasnt eating and he began hanging his head Saturday. The flies were bothering him so bad so i thought he was just frustrated with that. He was still unfriendly at this time when i fly sprayed him and i figured - oh hes fine if hes running like that it must just be his mouth still and it was starting to look better so still not too worried. He was the same until Monday afternoon he was super lethargic i knew something was really wrong and called the vet. He was shaking and just stood there with his head down and slobbering. The vet said he was just in pain from the sore mouth and was severely dehydrated. I said my whole herd has gone thru this with no real problems i didnt think it was a reason for him not to drink. Anyway we had hell finding a vein and the catheter kept kinking so we finally ran fluids thru a needle for several hours. Gave him banamine after he was hydrated and he jumped up. He seemed more alert his head was at normal level but was still shaking. So prayed thru the night he would make it. At 6am he was down and i was able to get him up but he was a complete drunk staggering. He was completely blind and just stood there star gazing. I immediately thought polio. The vet came and we treated him all morning with thiamine and also a large dose of penicillin in case it was listeria. Hours later he could no longer stand and laid on his side just thrashing his legs like he was running. His jaw was also locked. Sand packed in his eyes because he wouldnt blink. So i called it and ended his suffering. :( ive never seen polio this bad. What do you guys think? This picture is the morning after fluids.

Goat Fawn Goat-antelope Working animal Terrestrial animal

Attachments

·
1,379 Posts
I know someone who lost 1/3 of their herd from sore mouth and they had like 100 goats to begin with. There are some nasty strains out there.

I wish your vet would have given him IV fluids. The rumen needs hydration or it will shut down.
maybe he got tetnus from the sores from the soremouth???

·
Super Moderator
31,623 Posts
was a temp taken?

·
Super Moderator
31,623 Posts
it could be so many things..I too am sorry for your loss...

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Hours later he could no longer stand and laid on his side just thrashing his legs like he was running. His jaw was also locked.
I'm inclined to think tetanus, rather than goat polio or listeriosis. What you're describing does not fit with anything I've read on goat polio/listeriosis, nor does it fit with what I've encountered with either one. Granted, I've only had one case of polio/listeriosis, but jaw locking has never been mentioned as a symptom/result. There is a reason that tetanus got it's nickname of 'lock jaw'.

·
14,730 Posts
Oh wow, I am so very sorry for your loss :( You did everything you could think of doing for him.

I too, after reading about polio had never heard of it causing their jaw to lock up like that. I'm going to have to take a guess and say Tetanus.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank u i am sorry too its such a shame. I am wondering why his jaw was locked too but i think that only happened right before we put him down. I noticed a little pink blood coming from his mouth so i was looking to see if he bit his tongue and i couldnt get his mouth open. So confused. Also there may have been some fiddle neck in the pasture but it would have been very very little because the other goats already ate it. I was worried but nothing ever happened when they ate it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you guys think of the picture? At that point he was completely blind and stood there like a statue. You walk all around him and touch him with no response and his head was stuck up you couldnt push it down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts