The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It rained a lot today and is very muddy and my house. This morning when I got back from church my pony was laying down. He was COVERED in mud like he had been rolling all over the place. I didn't think much of it, but now he is laying down the whole time and not eating anything. This pony is a super pig. I can see him from my house and he just lays there moves his feet and his head a little and thats it. I went out and had my brother go in to the pen b/c he usually gets up when someone goes into the pen, but this time he didn't. Not even when my brother gave him a little kick to get him up. I went and handed him my stick(like a whip, but I don't use it as such). My brother waved it at him and he got up, but he wasn't happy about it and tried to lie down again. I told my brother to move him around and bit and he did walk and I couldn't see anything wrong with his legs, but I couldn't see very well because of all the mud. When my brother left he layed down again and now he is moving some on the ground, but not getting up. I am going out to feed now and will see if he gets up, but if he doesn't I will be really scared. I haven't taken his temp, but his eyes might look a little glazed. I haven't ridden him in almost a week. he is 15 and always extremely healthy. I will give an update after I get back in. Any ideas on whats going on? as I note I don't think it is colic as he doesn't get fed barely anything he has ful acess to pasture and is a fat pony.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Sounds like colic, get him up if you can and walk him, Do not let him eat, call a vet and see if his gums are pale. Is he sweating? Pawing? Biting at his sides? All signs of colic... How old is he?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If you have a stethoscope I would take a listen to his stomach too to see what kind of noises it's making, if any. A wise horsewoman passed that tip into me, and my vets to seem to appreciate that I can give them that info. It can help them decide what's going on.

If the horse has been doing this all day I would maybe consider calling an equine clinic, if you can't get a hold of the vet. I wouldn't try making it through the night without banamine or hearing from my vet.. That's just me though. I'm kind of a worry wart when it comes illnesses.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Vet ASAP! Most horses will colic at anything from the weather changing, feed change, eating dirt, exercise change its crazy what will get one sick. Don't let him roll. We use a gallon of mineral oil and a tube or once a turkey baster anything to get it in him, and try to walk him up and down a hill or in and out of a trailer, it might help get his stomach to loosen up. But definitely call the vet ours have saved their lives on many occasions. Ill be praying for yall. Hope he gets better soon.

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So sorry guys. Things got so crazy and the last thing on my mind was this website. Okay so I had my 4-H leader out with her vet-tech in-training daughter and they gave him 6 cc of banamine. He appeared to be doing better. We walked him around for a while doing 5 min walking 5 min break. Then put him in my barn(he isn't usually there). It was about 7 pm at this time. He was tense, but seemed to be relaxing due to the shots. I went inside because I hadn't eaten anything since noon and had needed to go to the bathroom HOURS ago. I came back out at 8 and watched him until 9. He tried to roll twice and was acting VERY unconformable and tense. I was about ready to call the vet. I hadn't up until this point because we almost never call the vet with anything. Anyway went inside and talked to parents and they had just decided to call the vet, when I decided to put my faith where my mind was. I had prayed over Andy earlier when we first saw the problem and had released faith. Now was a testing point in the faith. I choose to wait at least an hr before calling the vet. Me and my dad went back out there and he was doing much better than when I had left him. we gave him another 3 cc shot and walked him around for a good 30 min. Then I left him for about 2 hrs. He appeared to be doing great. Hadn't heard any sounds out of his gut yet nor had he pooped yet, but he seemed much better. He had urinated twice. I left him for the night and got between 4-7 hrs of sleep. I got up at 7:30 and went to check on him. He didn't look as good and hadn't passed anything. He had been rolling in the night too. We called to vets, but both said different things. one said to put a gallon mineral oil in him and wait and another began freaking out and said we needed to get him to their clinic ASAP! well we went with the first naturally. We only got probably 6 pints of mineral oil in him, but it was hard. By that time it was noon. I put him in the riding ring outside my house so I have complete view of him and so I can see if he poops. At about 11:30 I noticed sounds coming from his gut. Like swish, gargle, and burp. We had only put about 3 pints in him. I was just outside and still heard sounds, but he wasn't looking so great. Head down just standing there. I walked him around some and trotted a little. I tried to get him to drink because as far as I know he hasn't drank anything since 4 pm yesterday. He wouldn't, but I got like 100 cc of water into him with a syringe. That isn't a lot, but I am not sure how to get him to drink. I also don't have a larger syringe than a 10 cc. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts