Hair chewed off

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Darby77, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi all. This is my Saanen's neck. Her hair is chopped at both sides. She sleeps with her 2yr old son and I think while cuddled together, he chews it. She looks ridiculous. Any advice on how to stop him from chewing her hair? I can't separate them, they are very bonded. :( 20190116_081325.jpeg

2. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

I googled and the most popular thing I came up with is a need for more protein.
    I will see if Tennessee meat goats has anything.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yep typically a lack of protein in the diet but can also be another deficiency. Unfortunately it is a learned habit and once they begin, even if the diet is changed, he may not stop.

What is his daily diet?

I would maybe try hot pepper in vinegar and spray her neck with that to see if that stops him.

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    He gets 1/2 cup alfalfa pellets in the AM, first cut hay all day, 1/4 cup meat goat pellets at dinner with a tablespoon of ground flaxseed, 1 tablespoon of sea kelp and a pinch of ammonium chloride.
    I'll try spraying a little something yucky on her neck.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  5. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    And he has loose minerals available right?

At age 2 he is starting maturity and maybe hitting a growth spurt. 3/4 cup of concentrates is really a snack, not significant source of nutrition. I would probably increase his alfalfa pellets and grain if it were me.

6. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    He does get loose minerals that I put out every few days and a dose of Replamin gel every Friday. I was giving him more alfalfa pellets, but he wasn't finishing them. He is a little lazy about grain sometimes. He likes his hay. I will try increasing him a bit on both. Thanks!

SalteyLove likes this.
  7. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Just curious, my boy is HUGE. Half Saanen, half Arapawa....how much longer will he grow? He's so much bigger than the girls, he turns 2 on Feb 8th. He's a pretty gentle boy with me, but a bully with the girls.

8. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Well... Boers can keep growing right on through age 3... Share a photo!

9. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    This photo is from November and I swear he's grown a few more inches and his beard is coming in. That's his Momma behind him. 20181104_140451.jpeg

Dwarf Dad and toth boer goats like this.