The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing some on here about the coats and now I'm paranoid about my cookie! She has thicker course hair not smooth and sleek as some others posting. What I'm wondering is, is she just like that? She's been that way since I bought her 1 1/2 years ago, she had her thick winter coat of course. But Sapphire and Molly are sleeker.. Mohawk is another thing he has wild hair! It's a little longer. And June and Thor still have young soft baby fur. Is this normal? Is she lacking in minerals? (I give something i compared to manna pro free choice)

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,656 Posts
Some goats can have longer hair than others. Is her coat rough feeling or soft? Does the hair have curled tips?

What I do see is that she may need selenium. See how the line from her hoof to her ankle isn't straight up and down? Also she does have that bent tail I was talking about on @friesian49's thread.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some goats can have longer hair than others. Is her coat rough feeling or soft? Does the hair have curled tips?

What I do see is that she may need selenium. See how the line from her hoof to her ankle isn't straight up and down? Also she does have that bent tail I was talking about on @friesian49's thread.
It's kind of course it's not really soft... may be the way she was holding it at the time, her tail doesn't always look like that. But if I gave her selenium would I just do the paste? I don't want to give her too much!

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,098 Posts
Look at the hair on the end of her tail, see how it is starting to look sparse and separated in places? That is called a fish tail and a sign of copper deficiency. The coarse coat you've described could also be another sign, though with copper deficiency, the early signs begin primarily on the neck. The hair feels prickly, will turn up and stick out some. Since you're describing coarse hair that seems to be all over, I would tend to think she needed more mineral supplementation as well. The dose for a copper bolus is 1 gram per 22 pounds.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And do not do a pygmy right? Their sensitivity to copper? Were not sure about Mohawk and Molly they could be part pygmy, I don't think Mo is I think he's Nigerian but I wouldn't want to harm him.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,656 Posts
I personally believe that "don't give copper to pygmys" thing is crap. My goats are kinders which are originally bred from pygmys and I have zero issues. I just don't see a reason pygmys would be different than other goats.

What you should do is get the four grams ones, open the capsule and weigh out exactly how much she needs. You can then put the wire particals back in the capsule and give it to her that way, or just give her the free particles. You could even purchase the cow boluses and break those up.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I personally believe that "don't give copper to pygmys" thing is crap. My goats are kinders which are originally mixed with pygmys and I have zero issues. I just don't see a reason pygmys would be different than other goats.

What you should do is get the four grams ones, open the capsule and weigh out exactly how much she needs. You can then put the wire particals back in the capsule and give it to her that way, or just give her the free particles. You could even purchase the cow boluses and break those up.
Ok, I'll try that I think we have a kitchen scale. I'm not sure about copper and pygmy, I just think "why would they put it on there if there wasn't some truth to it"

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,656 Posts
Ok, I'll try that I think we have a kitchen scale. I'm not sure about copper and pygmy, I just think "why would they put it on there if there wasn't some truth to it"
I'm going to do some research on this, and I would encourage you to as well. There are a lot of things that circulate in the goat world that are just not true. For example certain deworming drugs say do not use on goats and they are perfectly fine to use. 😉

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to do some research on this, and I would encourage you to as well. There are a lot of things that circulate in the goat world that are just not true. For example certain deworming drugs say do not use on goats and they are perfectly fine to use.
I'm trying to, I keep getting things on copper toxicity when I search "pygmy goats and copper". I mean the mineral company is the one missing out on business if it's not true.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,656 Posts
I think it is very suspicious when there are no resources that back up something like this. If it was really true then there would be plenty of people with stories of copper toxicity who didn't know any better and studies that back it up. Just doing a quick search of this forum and other forums I see plenty of people that treat their pygmies no differently than their other goat breeds. All the articles that I could find are not current and therefore should be highly suspect. The world of goat knowledge has evolved rapidly in recent years, so something like this might be left over from an era of false information.

If you know your pygmy goat is deficient, it doesn't make sense not to treat them. As long as you follow the copper bolus dosage you should be fine. Maybe pygmies need less copper than other goats in the long run, but it doesn't mean they don't need it. 😉

Also I just want to mention that copper toxicity is not as big of a deal as overdosing on other types of minerals. Their bodies will use that excess of copper up if not given any more. Give your goats the 1 gram per 22 pounds and if in three months their condition gets better then you know you have the right amount, if the condition gets worse then you know that it was too much. If it is too much, just stop giving copper until their condition improves. You'd never want to intentionally give too much copper, but if you did, it's not like it would be life threatening.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts