Hair loss and show Questions

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Goat Crazy, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I'll start with my buck, hes recently been losing hair on the top of his muzzle no sign of bugs,scabs, or dandruff. Does anybody have any idea what is causing this? He also, has something going on with the bottom of his testicles. This started back in September, it looks like he got bite by a some kind of bug...... anyway it is raw and bumpy looking. Sorry the pictures are bad I can't get any clearer ones he doesn't like to stand still. I was thinking about taking him to a show near the end of may will any of this affect showing him? He has scurs too but they are close to his head.

Then there is Rosebud all I have to ask about her is her front legs, do they look a little knocked in the knees at all to you? She is standing on a slope if that makes any difference.

Attached Files:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Not sure about the hairloss on the nose, maybe he's rubbing it.
    and idk why but all of the bucks I've seen have no hair on the bottom of their testicles

3. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I also for got to ask. My buck has a small boil that may or may not be from CL it is on his neck and I can't see it with his winter coat, but he had it back in may when i got him, at first I thought that it could be from a CD&T shot but I am not sure. If it is from an injection should it have burst or gone down by now? How long after CL boils appear do they burst? He is from a CL free herd.

Attached Files:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    CL doesnt show up on the neck to my limited knowledge.

One of my does still has a vaccination lump not sure if it was from CD/T or her pasturella vaccine but no they dont usually burst they just slowly dissipate, just rub it real hard every day and it will go away if its a vaccine lump

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh and are you POSITIVE he doesnt have lice? I have a very fidgety does (name jitterbug for that reason) so when she was jumping and moving about like somehting was eating her I didnt think a thing of it. well finally I saw that she was loosing hair on the base of her ears and on her ears adn then on her nose and she has LICE -- checked everyone else they all do as well. LOTS of them. Well actually they are all dead now since I treated them but htis was on Friday so it was recent enough.

Other then lice another possibility is a mineral deficiency, rubbing or just his way of shedding out.

6. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I am pretty sure he doesn't have lice. I checked his coat and didn't see any signs of lice,ticks..., he has a very thick coat so it is a little hard to look through. He is losing hair on his ears too, you can see one ear in the first pic.
    Also, why is hair loss sometimes connected to a selenium deficiency? Since selenium affects the muscle. Hair loss isn't listed under the symptoms of selenium deficiency, but is often said that it is what is causing the hair loss?