The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holly's hair is falling out on the bridge of her nose and behind/around her ears. Is this normal for spring time shedding? Her skin looks great, not irritated at all. We had a horse that used to do this; loose her hair and be almost bald then her summer coat would come in.

Here are some picutres.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
yes I have seen that happen. Aloe Vera Juice really helps their hair to grow back. I know you said her skin looks great but it could be a little dry cause of the weather. It won't hurt her either way

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okiedoke, I'll do that. Also, this happened to my dog when she was nursing. Could that happen to Holly because she is nursing? Boo(my dog) just lost a ton of hair because of whelping and then grew back really thick, soft luxurious fur. So maybe that's what's going on with Holly?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
it is a good guess but honestly I don't want to say it is related because I don't know but it of course can be as birthing and nursing can be stressful on their bodies and they then shed out quicker then the new hair can grow back in.

I know that humans when pregnant hardly shed any hair but after giving birth they tend to loose a lot of hair and then it slowly has to grow back.

The more i think of it - that actually makes sense :)

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Sara,

I have 4 Does that are totally I mean totally bald. They have NO HAIR on them other then what is NOW growing back (and what is on their face, that has not fallen out). Yes they should lose their "Cashmere", only but they lost all their guard hair, and they have done this now for three years. I have three different vets working on the reason, and they are all stumped. I have been told to give them a A&D shot, did that, I was told man, all kinds of things, and NOTHING has helped. They have checked for lice, or anything else, and no ideas. The vets have studied the shin scrapings, and they said they are going to figure it out no matter what, that was two years ago, and they have not figured it out yet. They have the CSU vet school involved.
I guess the only thing bad about it is we still get REALLY cold here, so I had to go but foal blankets for them when it is really cold. I have had to alter them of course, but they at least keep the chill off them. They all look like Mexican hairless dogs, that is the best way to describe it.

OK, the only plus is they look GREAT for the show season, and the judges say how great their coats look.

OH, the vets are not charging anything for all the studying they are doing either. :clap:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have been trying to pull out of my elderly memory something about a horse that shedded out all his hair every spring becoming bald in large areas of his body. If I remember rightly it was an autoimmune response to a virus that many of the horses stabled together had. All recovered quickly from a rather mild virus except one older horse who was left with this peculiar shedding response. I think the article was in Equus magazine either last year or the year prior.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O_O
Scary
I'm thinking it's a combination of hormones(she's nursing), it's winter and she's shedding anyways, and because her skin is a tad dry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts