Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, Feb 20, 2011.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    We just bought 2 does a month ago, and I noticed today that they are losing hair in chunks. They seem very healthy and settled in, but I am concerned. They get minerals, salt and baking soda, and are up to date on their shots. Could it be a response to being transported? They were in the trailer about 2 hours. How worried should we be? Thank you!

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Pics would help....do they have any little dry scabbies where hair is missing? Is it total hair coming out with complete baldness? .......my guys are already loosing the underneath winter coat like crazy right now.

3. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I will have to check again for scabs, but I didn't notice any, just overall the hair is coming out quite heavily. One doe has bald patch on her shoulder, lots of skin showing through. They were not like this when we purchased them, and they have never had any health issues that we know of. It's still very cold here, so I would be surprised if they were starting to lose their winter coats. I still wonder if it could be stress, and if so, what should I do? Thank you for getting back to me!

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It is very cold here to.....just had a blizzard, but mine are still loosing winter coat, I think it can happen when days start getting longer......You might also ask Stacey, she had one lose her coat last winter I believe....I had one lose every bit of his coat 2 winters ago, but it was due to him running a high fever.....which can happen, but your girls have not been sick.......Are these girls prego? I was thinking I read were they can sometimes lose their coat when expecting because of hormones. If they get to cold and start shivering you might need to put a coat on them, that is what I did with my boy......he had absolutely NO hair and had to wear a coat until mid-spring.....have you checked them for lice?