The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed that a couple of my goats have hair loss on their tail (not the tip) and thinning of hair on their sides. They have been copper bolused, recieve replamin gel monthly and always have loose minerals available. I just treated them all for lice a couple weeks ago as I saw some creepy crawlers in their coat, they all seem to be gone now. My question is, could this be the result of lice? Mites? Zinc deficiency? Copper deficiency?
Would really like to figure this out sooner then later!! A lot of my goats have nice shiny coats! It’s only a handful of them with this issue.
Picture is attached of one of my girls, it’s hard to notice but you can kinda see the thinning of hair on her side. She was losing hair on her ears too! I’m hoping it’s just the lice and I got it all figured out now, but would like some advice. I don’t have a picture of the tail, but its not at the tip, the hair loss runs down the whole top side of the tail if that makes sense?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I’ve heard Replamin doesn’t have a lot of selenium but I don’t know about copper. Unfortunately Sweetlix doesn’t ship to Canada so you did a good job trying to find the next best thing.
Unfortunately I don’t know very much about minerals so I’m sure the experts on this site will give you some great advice. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard Replamin doesn't have a lot of selenium but I don't know about copper. Unfortunately Sweetlix doesn't ship to Canada so you did a good job trying to find the next best thing.
Unfortunately I don't know very much about minerals so I'm sure the experts on this site will give you some great advice. :)
I have been trying to find a way to get sweetlix to me but so far no luck! Thanks for the help! :) I do have selenium/vitamin E gel that I could give too, but this didn't really seem like a Selenium issue to me.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I agree it didn’t look like selenium. Have you noticed a color change in your goat’s fur at all?
Do you have a close-up picture of her tail and face?
It sounds more like zinc deficiency to me because of the balding near the eyes and nose. I have a goat with the same problem. We are waiting for our minerals to come in the mail..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree it didn't look like selenium. Have you noticed a color change in your goat's fur at all?
It sounds more like zinc deficiency to me because of the balding near the eyes and nose. I have a goat with the same problem. We are waiting for our minerals to come in the mail..
No, their coats all seem to be normal Color, haven't noticed any fishtail either. I can get tail and face pics later today :) I'm thinking it's zinc too, hoping to pick up some zinc tablets from the store and see if that does anything, but maybe I should find something better for long term.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree it didn't look like selenium. Have you noticed a color change in your goat's fur at all?
Actually, here's a picture of one of my Bucklings. You can see some hair loss on his nose, he's the other one that has hair thinning on his sides and hair loss on his tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a doe who has the exact same sized patch on her nose, and she has lots of flaky skin and balding near her eyes and it is not any kind of parasite.
Zinc tablets sound like a good idea. I hope they get better!
Thank you! I'm hoping I can get this figured out soon! I hope your Doe gets fixed up too :)

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Hello fellow Canadian!
I have one with a balding bridge of his nose, that I think comes from rubbing while eating out of a hay bag.
I have one with a weird thin strip down his tail. For him I believe it is how sleeps. He sits in a corner of his stall, squished up against the wood, because I see the bent hair on it in the morning.
But because I only started loose minerals last November, I am sure, all my goats had deficiency to some degree. I give replamin to those individuals with obvious signs of deficiencies. I was told on here it is once a week, after a 5 day loader dose. According to the tubes, replamin has more selenium than selenium/vit e gel.
I was also told on here that for replamin, the copper:zinc ratio is off, and to give extra zinc with it.
I started with zinc tabs, until I got hold of TruCare 4 (available to Canadians only through amazon, I believe). I am currently top dressing everyone’s supper with TruCare. I am using up the zinc tabs when I give replamin.
I see some improvement, but slowly.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They look like they've been rubbing on things. However have you noticed any scabbiness around their dewclaws or legs. Maybe on their bellies?
A zinc tablet once a week with good minerals could help but it's slow. Check for mites, but if you're temps are warming up they may just be trying to get rid of some winter fluff too.
Nope, no scabiness that I have seen. Going to try zinc tablets! Thank you.:) I thought maybe they were just losing their winter coat, but the thinning is way more then I see in my other goats. Almost going bald in that area.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello fellow Canadian!
I have one with a balding bridge of his nose, that I think comes from rubbing while eating out of a hay bag.
I have one with a weird thin strip down his tail. For him I believe it is how sleeps. He sits in a corner of his stall, squished up against the wood, because I see the bent hair on it in the morning.
But because I only started loose minerals last November, I am sure, all my goats had deficiency to some degree. I give replamin to those individuals with obvious signs of deficiencies. I was told on here it is once a week, after a 5 day loader dose. According to the tubes, replamin has more selenium than selenium/vit e gel.
I was also told on here that for replamin, the copper:zinc ratio is off, and to give extra zinc with it.
I started with zinc tabs, until I got hold of TruCare 4 (available to Canadians only through amazon, I believe). I am currently top dressing everyone's supper with TruCare. I am using up the zinc tabs when I give replamin.
I see some improvement, but slowly.
I hope this helps.
Thank you so much! I will look up TruCare :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you look closely in the picture you can also see she has a patch of missing hair in her ligament area at her rump. She lost hair on her ears and because I didn’t notice in time she ended up with minor frostbite. I feel so bad. Thanks everyone for the advice, I’m going to try some zinc products and hope for improvement even if it’s slow! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts