Hairless brisket?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sonrise Farm, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Okay, Gypsy lost all the hair on her brisket and it itches and she keeps scratching it with a hindhoof. This morning I noticed it looked like a scab was in the process of healing up. This has never happened before. What's happening????!!!!

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    **panicking** :GAAH:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like she either has a bug bite she scratched raw, or some very dry skin.

Dry skin can be easily taken care of by giving her some Aloe Vera Juice. Yes the human kind. Works great!

You will also want to check for lice as well

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Could be:

-Lice
    -Dry skin
    -Mange
    -food allergy (if just changed something in the diet)
    -allergies

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm thinking mange possibly. Sounds a lot like something our little wether had once. I treated him with Ivomec and it went away fast. My mom also tried a homeopathic around the same time, so it could have been that though, but I think it was the Ivomec. . . . oh, I gave it orally.

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
  7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    OK...My idea of "brisket" is the area between the front legs at the "breast bone".....am I right?

If this is the area in question, when most goats lay down they are on that area in an "upright" position, she's putting pressure on an already sore spot causing discomfort, and 9/10 if she's anything like mine, they don't always choose the cleanest area to lay down in. Dirt, manure, etc. can cause an infection in already tender skin, I'd suggest using a pad of sorts with an antibiotic cream on it for a few days to keep it free from dirt and give relief from the pressure she is putting on it, as well as the aloe vera juice, it will help it heal without being contaminated and the aloe vera will help with any itchiness from the dry skin. It would still be a good idea to check she and your other goats over for lice...they are fairly easy to see, especially when they move.