Hairloss on a pygmybuck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Jul 19, 2009.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My Hank is 5 years old, so he's not "old" and as all who have read my posts the last few weeks know that I am having a copper deficiency in my herd. My bucks did not get any drenching as none showed the signs like the fish tails and red colored hair.
    Boys have no bugs as I dust with sevin and I have never seen any lice at all, Hank has very dry skin and my once gorgeous black shiny buck now has just the dorsal hair as well as the hair on his legs and belly, the hair loss is on his sides.I had seen him rubbing on the fence alot so I attributed the hairloss to that, and he is still shedding out his undercoat from last year as he has these ropes of it hanging from his rump...he is certainly not liking me pulling it off either! I do know that zinc and copper go hand in hand, they just recently got started on Golden Blend minerals and I was wondering if I should wait a few weeks to see if it helps or go ahead and give a zinc supplement?

What type of zinc should I use?
    Are there ANY adverse affects?
    Is there any way besides brushing to get the dry skin off of him?
    I have aloe vera juice that I can give to him...how much should he get to make a difference? He weighs 55 pounds.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    6ccs of the aloe vera juice or a couple "glugs" in a 2 gallon bucket of water. Thats what I do.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This is not getting any better...even with the aloe vera juice. I am at a loss as to what I can do for him.......ANY suggestions would be very helpful to my Hank.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz......sounds like Hank is doing the exact same thing my Elwood did this past winter as I had shared with you......a couple of weeks before Elwood started loosing his hair, he had ran a fever and vet put him on antibiotics...never really figured out why he got sick.....but then he started loosing his hair, vet thought it could be from high fever or reaction to the antibiotics........his hair finally grew back in thicker then ever......poor guy had to wear a goat coat for about 2 months though.

Elwood still has dry flaky skin.....This past week I started giving Elwood a human zinc tablet(50mg) every day instead of every other day and his skin is looking less flaky. I brushed him out today and he is also loosing lots of his fuzzy undercoat......I really think it has something to do with black goats.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would try zinc. Maybe get some EZ pels for them by Blue Seal. That has Zinc in it. You can give human Zinc pills to them, you should notice a difference in a couple days with the Zinc pills.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have tried and tried to get the EZ pels around here and just can not find them......also, do they replace your loose minerals?

Oh, and Liz......when I put Elwood on the Golden Blend it took about 2 weeks before noticing a difference........I will be going back to them, as I thought Sweetlix would be as good as Golden Blend.......but I am now thinking not for my guys.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The TSC that I frequent has stopped getting the SS pellets and I've not ever seen the EZ pellets there ever....I do have the zinc vitamin pills, was just nervous about giving them to him. Will certainly start him on them today.
    Thank you so much for the replies :hug:

8. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I can understand you being nervous about giving him "human pills" but really the Zinc should be okay. I am always ordering vitamins for the goats from health stores and online to use as supplements when one seems to not be getting enough of a certain something. I just took this picture the other week to show to a friend what to get as she needed extra zinc for her buck. He is also losing his hair. I have found that certain "lines" need more zinc than others. This is some of the stuff I have used successfully without any problems whatsoever.

[​IMG]

Best of luck!

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you Tina for that reassurance!

10. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    My friend Julie was having the same issue with her buck back in May. He had biting/sucking lice so she threw some powder on him and injected him with Ivermectin. I bolused him with copper and now he looks all together different.

Which lice are the ones that look like dandruff? Aren't they the biting ones? I always forget.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm not sure of the lice, but I do know that my goats are louse free. I think the ones that have a black "belly" are the sucking lice...the red ones are the biting lice :shrug: He's been changed over to the Golden Blend minerals now for 2 weeks so I guess it will take some time for those to kick in.

12. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Her bucks biggest problems with the hairloss was the copper deficiency. I ended up bolusing her whole herd for her. She can't believe what a difference it's made even with them using a mineral block w/copper. I finally got her to switch to loose minerals. I use loose minerals and still have to bolus my goats from time to time.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    After the tragic outcome I had with attempting to "fix" the copper deficiency with my does using a drench, I won't be attempting any type of copper additives with my goats. The zinc I will try, and hope it fixes Hank's hairloss, but for now the goat specific minerals with a higher copper content will hopefully be sufficient in that area.

14. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I can completely understand, I would be cautious too :hug:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you bheila :hug:

16. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz......your not going to believe this.......but Elwood is loosing all his hair now :hair: ! I brushed his fuzzy undercoat out this weekend and he is getting worse by the day! At least with them loosing it now maybe they will have their coats back by winter!
    I am taking my little buckling in Wednesday to be nuetered and I am going to talk with vet about Elwood.....my vet is pretty goat smart, so I'll see what he says.....I am going to order Golden Blend minerals this week. After brushing Elwood out...... his skin is so flaky......it is not lice. I did go ahead and dusted him and Jake.

I did worm them with Ivomec plus last week......but don't think that has anything to do with it.
    Really wish I could get a hold of the Blue Seal Ez pels......I emailed the company, but have not heard back.
    Let me know if you figure out anything new......take care, Denise

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I use min Max. It is a blue paste. It really helps my goats.

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What exactly is Min Max?

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What about wheat germ oil....was reading about it in Hoeggers catalog......has anyone tried it?

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I thot of that too Denise, Tractor Supply carries it by the gallon in the horse section of the store, I think I will pick some up and see if it does help. Hanks coat is coming back in, but he still has the dry flaky skin.