hairy pygmy

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by minibarn, Jul 26, 2010.

1. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    tinkerbelle is 1 & a half yrs old. we got her and her black twin sister last fall. we were told they're pygmy but i'm wondering if it's normal for a pygmy to have so much long hair at their legs. her twin doesn't look quite as hairy. they came to us very scared of people but tinkerbelle is finally letting us pet her a little. :) her twin doesn't yet but she will eat out of our hands so hopefully with time they'll be very friendly.

Attached Files:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Tinkerbelle is a pretty girl :love:

She does have the Carmel coat of a pygmy but her body is saying she's likely a Nigerian Dwarf/Pygmy cross.

Unfortunately, unless you buy registered goats, you can't really be sure of true breed. Pygmy/Nigies are just as sweet and give the same sweet milk as purebred nigies. I have 4 pygmy/nigi cross does and each have their own place in my heart :love:

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    What a cutie! My Pygmy/Nigerian cross Indy has britches like that. I love it

4. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

I have many Nigerians with a Caramel color. I also have a buck with long hair. :) his name is Topper--

[​IMG]

5. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    wow! we have a pygmy buck that has the same color & markings but looks much more stocky. he's also not nearly so hairy although it does get very long in winter. love the mane!
    so i take it pygmies are not supposed to be hairy. if they are, they must have some nigerian dwarf?

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Cute buck.... he looks like a myotonic/nigie cross. (maybe 75% nigie 25% myo... but he's definitely got some fainter in him. ) Very pretty boy! :)
    Also a very common fainter coloring.... light buckskin tri-color :)

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Take a look at the NPGA website www.npga.com
    also, we have a few members here that raise registered purebred pygmies....check out their websites and compare your goats to theirs, you'll see a marked difference in build and color.

Tara is in Ohio http://www.freewebs.com/rowdykidz/

Denise is in California http://www.citylightspygmygoats.com/

8. Native87

Native87 New Member

Here is my foundation pygmy buck, Chinquapin Ridge Lucifer. He is a real sweet guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    yup, looks like our tucker! almost identical! tucker is too shy for petting but he will eat out of our hands and loves to be close to wherever we are. =)

10. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Wow, those pygmies get some nice horns!

11. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Mini,, looks like Harem pants.. shes adorable no matter what ...get pics of that sister on there too