Half udder giving less milk, noticeably smaller

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Anita, May 22, 2009.

1. Anita

Anita New Member

May 12, 2009
    Davidsonville, MD
    One of my does, Una, kidded on May 3. She has a meaty udder and so was very difficult to milk for the first 4-5 days. I could barely get anything out of her left udder for the first couple of days until it softened up a bit. I guess it was "meatier" than the right.

Everything is soft and nice now on both sides, but the left udder is noticeably smaller and giving about 1/2 as much milk. She was even last year. I'm making absolutely sure to completely milk out both sides, but they just aren't evening up.

So I was wondering if I could even them up by milking just the left udder once extra during the day? Would there be any reason not to try this?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've had that happen before, but I've never noticed them giving a huge difference between the halves. The only problem with milking the one half twice a day is she may dry that half off sooner than she should, which is not a good hting.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Sarah that is what I was thinking too. What I would do is massage that part of the udder more and bump it as well. This will help to stimulate more milk production.

4. Anita

Anita New Member

May 12, 2009
    Davidsonville, MD
    I have been massaging, but will give extra attention to the left side.

I didn't know there would be a reason not to add a third milking on just the one side. Good information to have. That's why I asked!

Thanks!

5. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    Two of mine do that too. They had it since they had mastitis. :? I'll have to try what StaceyRoop said.